Free PME | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Free PME in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Arranged for an elderly couple to have a PME installed,Rang Western Power with credit card ready , Employee didn't mention paying (usually between £120/150).anyway they have been and fitted all good, couple didn't have to sign or pay ! Nice bonus for them . Have never come across this before and have always had to pay Up Front !!!

From what i gathered, from a friend that was in Engineering management of a DNO company in Essex, that any cast iron service head with ceramic rewireable fuses (DP) should have all been replaced, by all the DNO companies in the UK, by the end of 2011 free of charge. But they didn't and still haven't achieved that instruction that came from the electrical ombudsman.

But getting back to the DNO'S charging for PME conversions, what an absolute disgrace, ...£150 for less than 20 minutes work. So what are you all paying this quarterly standing charge for then?? It was always described as a charge for maintenance and to cover system upgrade costs... Which when you think about it, should even cover the cost of a local main isolator at every service head... Most domestic installations have collected 1000's if not 10s of thousands over the years for the service companies....
well a church i have been back on this week has had the old cast iron cutout replaced with new (3 phase)...they have replaced the old paper-lead with a new concentric as well....
still billed em about £150 odd for it though.....
but theres much more work gone on there than was paid for....

Its all very well saying "stand up to these companies", but if you phone them up and ask to be converted to PME and state you will not pay they are going to shrug and say "if you won't pay we won't come and do it. Bye." You can't make them.
strops...if its distributers facility then they have a duty of care to maintain it...
now, whenever i liase with the DNO now on a customer`s behalf...i ask to be put straight on to the duty engineer....
and generally i`v found they have come out to deal with issues...
at least then i`m not stuck on the phone to some stupid bint who dont have a clue what she`s on about...

I understand they have a duty of care over their equipment. I suppose the difference comes whether you are asking to be PME'd because the existing head is ancient and/or dangerous - whereupon they are duty bound to replace it for free, or if the head is a perfectly safe and serviceable TT installation but you want to go PME to improve your Ze instead of banging in another stake or finding a nice earthy gas pipe ;) in which case I think it would be reasonable to charge for the upgrade, as it is not necessary on safety grounds.

I understand they have a duty of care over their equipment. I suppose the difference comes whether you are asking to be PME'd because the existing head is ancient and/or dangerous - whereupon they are duty bound to replace it for free, or if the head is a perfectly safe and serviceable TT installation but you want to go PME to improve your Ze instead of banging in another stake or finding a nice earthy gas pipe ;) in which case I think it would be reasonable to charge for the upgrade, as it is not necessary on safety grounds.

One of the original reasons for going down the PME route by the original Regional boards was to provide existing customers, mainly on country Overhead supplies, a stable low impedance earth connection. Ever since the 1930's when the programme began, up until the privatised DNO companies took over, PME connections were performed free of charge where available, to commercial and domestic customers. So why do you think it's reasonable to charge now?? What is that standing charge everyone pays, actually for??

I thought a charge would be reasonable as the conversion is not necessary on safety grounds, and is 'voluntary'. I didn't know they did it for free in the good old days. This is the price we pay for changing our utilities from being service providers to profit-generating businesses, where the primary aim is to generate money for the shareholders, rather than supply a good service. Bring back nationalisation, I say!

i hope you were just arsin about here...

Silence speaks volumes! Privatisation (aka Selling the family silver) has been an expensive (for the public) disaster.

Yep Maggie sold council houses to bribe the voters and she gave away housing built in perpatuity for the low paid fast foeward 30 years and Cameron is being told there is a massive shortage of Social (Council) housing Aka selling the family silver indeed

Yep Maggie sold council houses to bribe the voters and she gave away housing built in perpatuity for the low paid fast foeward 30 years and Cameron is being told there is a massive shortage of Social (Council) housing Aka selling the family silver indeed
yeah well i saw edd balls`s offerings the other day...
when asked about what labour would do..if they (god forbid) get in at the next generals....all he could come out with was `we need to build more houses`....its a load of crap...there isn`t a real shortage of houses...its just that too many are being let in....
Margret Thatchers right to buy was the first (and only real chance) for people to genuinely get on the property ladder....and as such was a good thing...
if the old left had have had its way...then many, many who would have jumped at the chance of genuine home ownership....would never have realised this....
but i suppose the soviet view has always been `well its in the interests of the state`.......

Reply to Free PME in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back