Fuseboard in external meter cupboard | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fuseboard in external meter cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was doing a job for a landlord at his tenants house and was aked to have a look at the fuseboard whilst im there to as he wants it changing.
Asked the tenant where the board was and he said it was in the external meter cupboard. I thought he was a bit mistaken by what i meant but it actually was! (photo attached hopefully)

never seen it before, didn't even think it was allowed being DNO property. Where do think i stand when it comes to actually replacing it? am i allowed to change it or does it have to be moved?

that other 2 way DB is supplying to electric showers incase anyone is wondering.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Fuseboard in external meter cupboard
    WP_000723.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 209
I know the cu is already there so no problem. But it's about to be changed for what I assume is a 17th edition cu, which is designed to give little inconvenience to householder, so putting it outside where it may have to be reset in the dark, doesn't add up for me.

and yet its been in the cupboard for decades with no problems..........

so were going to move it because we dont like the look of it ?

pfft , leave it be.

You never fail to say exactly what I'm thinking Biff

Why make life hard for yourself...If the IR's are all good, which they should be if you're changing the CU, then the RCD shouldn't be tripping anyway.

RCDs and MCBs not too good in freezing damp conditions.......

Can you supply data for this, (and that's not being perdantic, just intrested) as I would say moving the CU would involve loads of crimped conections and a nightmare.. but a new main sw CU with RCBO's would fit sweetly in there and the customer would be happy money would be made and well everything complys...

Hydro used to supply the boxes around here. It's only recently that the customer has to. The boxes are usually IP65ish so why does the CU have to be IP4X as was suggested? I've also replaced a re wirable for a 17th Ed board in a cupboard. Explained all options to customer and thats where they insisted it go.

Hydro used to supply the boxes around here. It's only recently that the customer has to. The boxes are usually IP65ish so why does the CU have to be IP4X as was suggested? I've also replaced a re wirable for a 17th Ed board in a cupboard. Explained all options to customer and thats where they insisted it go.

Im pretty sure 7029 Dave meant putting the IP44 box adjacent to the meter box. The reason I think this is because he wrote "provided they are put in additional Ip44 box adjacent meter box".....
How two people have managed to misinterpret this on the same page baffles me....

Im pretty sure 7029 Dave meant putting the IP44 box adjacent to the meter box. The reason I think this is because he wrote "provided they are put in additional Ip44 box adjacent meter box".....
How two people have managed to misinterpret this on the same page baffles me....
Well I'm still baffled, but I have had half a bottle of wine (good news day)!

Reply to Fuseboard in external meter cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net