Fused spur from an immersion switch? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fused spur from an immersion switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

QUOTE=wirepuller;688437]I'm still waiting for your technical explanation of why any of the proposed solutions are unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

It seems you are to wait a while yet,it's getting tiresome this waiting game lol

I really hope the admins / mod's don't see this...providing my entertainment for the night.

Wirepuller you've got ure hands full here buddy lol!

So why not put immersion heaters on the ring main?

The whole idea of a RFC is for portable and transient loads....an immersion heater is a fixed load over 2KW for which the regs recommend...(note recommend) a radial. An immersion heater therefore should be on a radial.....but not all radials have to be dedicated to one load.

Have you any idea why immersion heaters are allocated their own circuit?

Have you?....I'm still waiting for you to provide a plausible technical explanation as to why a 12a IH and a 5a heater cant be on a 20a radial assuming cable sizes are adequate.
Please explain why an IH MUST be completely dedicated.

Sounds good to me
2.5 T+E
change MCB to 20A CHECK MAX Zs
2 items on 1 radial NICE
is heater in bathroom RCD protection ?
NO WORSE THAN 4 DOUBLE SOCKETS ON A 20A 2.5 RADIAL

If the immersion is used as the sole means of hot water...No...ideally it should remain a dedicated radial
If the immersion is not or little used..(standby if boiler fails)...you could do this by using a 20a 2way grid switch as a changeover switch. Wire it so either the I/H or bathroom heater can be used independantly but not at the same time.

Wirepuller ... this wouldn't comply regarding the 2way switch method as it would fall foul of 554.3.3 unless you were to have a double pole switch also which you failed to make clear in your suggestion.

This thread is another good example why the plain english society needs to proof read the next edition of the regs.

Immersions on dedicated radial

For ****s sake dedicated circuits don't count for anything anymore are you thick

WOW ! This is't the usual banter ! You guys know the regs backwards! Can i suggest you put down the regs and try a dictionary? Dedicated means dedicated no matter if there is capacity in the circuit is dedicated to the immersion heater.

No offence intended :smile:

How about in the late 70s/early 80s. It was common practice then to have a bathroom heater running from a dedicated lighting circuit. My sister and her husband had just such an arrangement in their new build house in Blyth.

Reply to Fused spur from an immersion switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net