Garage re-wire | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Garage re-wire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all.

Just started a garage re-wire this afternoon for a neighbour and just after a bit of advice. The previous owner was a bit of a diyer!! I advised her that it will be easier and best if we start from scratch.

As an example of what I found on my initial inspection:-

Earthing for lighting being terminated in the earth terminal of the switch with no connection to the supply earth.

The FCU for the lighting circuit had no earth from the incomming or out going supply. The back box and front plate were connected with an earth wire ( Box is plastic). I have sorted the earth now but still have a question with how it has been wired.

The lighting is coming from an FCU. The light switch is a double for 2 different lights in the garage. The switch is being used for the loop. The neutrals have been connected together using a terminal block.

The FCU is right next to the switch so rather than running the power cable to the 1st light with a loop going to the 2nd, he's done all that at the switch. Then he's run the 2 switch cables to the lights.

Hope the above makes sense?

Is this correct, can it be done like that? Its saved cable but not how I would have done it.

Cheers Rich

No CU to fit as there is already one in the meter cupboard. So it is just a re-wire.

Well, depends on what else you're showing the inspector. They seem to be quite flexible with me nowadays and there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule about 1 major and 1 minor. Depends on what you're showing...

Incidentally, my inspector and had his own inspector this year! That was sporting. He had to be bullet-proof (and so did I).

Reply to Garage re-wire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net