Garden distribution board | Page 7 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Garden distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

ncpitts

Hi all,
I would like to pick your collective brains by asking if any of you has installed a DB/consumer unit in a garden or outside which is flat and flush to the ground . This one is by a lake and needs to be flat. It will be sat in grass/lawn
Ideas or solutions please

Ta lots

Nigel

It can be done but it won't be cheap,think about the link boxes that are set into the pavement,you could use one of these and mount the CU inside it,all cables would have to be put in at once though as the bottom gets filled with resin to ensure it's watertight,regarding the condensation issue this could be cured by placing a couple of large bags of dessicant inside the enclosure.this is what BT do_Obviously the job should be done on a warm dry day as the lower humidity in the atmosphere would also limit the amount of potential condensation.
Quality , Dessicant - Brilliant ! thanks mate !!!

Why do you need a distribution board in the middle of the garden for a bunch of cameras?
Put the distribution board next to the control kit for the cameras, or is that being buried too?

Cameras will need naff all current so you'll probably be able to get a lot of them on one radial.

The supply to the garden/lakei s on a B16 to then push on to the camera location i need to down rate to B6 to achieve a workable Zs reading

The supply to the garden/lakei s on a B16 to then push on to the camera location i need to down rate to B6 to achieve a workable Zs reading
Not often you'll hear me say this.... RCD. Or run the camera power from the 16 point, maybe. Only you know what the runs are.

I can't see the problem really myself. a simple and long term solution to follow.

1) First get a nice square washing up bowel and fit the relevant packing glands to suit the cables.
2) find an old Wylex style board with rewire-able fuse carriers, glue this into the bowel with a suitable moisture resistant construction adhesive.
3) Terminate, test all connections fit fuses.
4) Fill up the washing bowel to the top with Silicone potting compound.
5) Cut a piece of 18mm marine ply and paint with three coats of waterproof paint.
6) Glue a piece of astro turf to one side of the plywood.
7) Place the turf lid onto the top top of the buried bowel as a lid.

Problem sorted, if the fuses go you can push your hands through the gel and remove them and then re seal.
Can we leave the bowels out of this please. we've already been told off for some of the things on this one so we have to be good lads.
Do you really do your washing up in a bowel? Can't imagine that being very hygenic.

Not often you'll hear me say this.... RCD. Or run the camera power from the 16 point, maybe. Only you know what the runs are.
Done all the calcs and main db will be rcbo protected, this is due to the fact that i am not sure how many carrier bags to use
Seriously the main supply is rcbo then mcb in the ip67 db with b breakers for subcircuits

Okay to sign this one off we are going with the horrendously expensive pop up power box .

Many thanks to all the guys that contributed constructively and i have thanked all , I think

Glad we got away from the narrow minded lot who thought it was stupid and those whose only reply was to insult, please stay off , it doesn't help,

Cheers for now
Nige

Okay to sign this one off we are going with the horrendously expensive pop up power box .

Many thanks to all the guys that contributed constructively and i have thanked all , I think

Glad we got away from the narrow minded lot who thought it was stupid and those whose only reply was to insult, please stay off , it doesn't help,

Cheers for now
Nige

I still think it's a bloody stupid idea, the only thing that has saved the day so to speak, is aiming silly amounts of money at a daft idea!!

the only thing that has saved the day so to speak, is aiming silly amounts of money at a daft idea!!

So it IS show-business afterall!!![emoji6]

Cheers for now
Nige

Hope you have to pay for it when you find the basic design fault in your idea. As you say, it’s expensive, a lot of money is going to go to waste.

But as I’m one of the narrow minded lot I’ll leave you to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers for now
Nige

Matey, with YOUR CRXP OP I'm surprised you got any constructive responses.

Read this from top to bottom then imagine, what what the responses would have been like if YOUR OP had included ALL relevent information you later reveaed.

You get out what you put in, so poor post & crxp replies.

Matey, with YOUR CRXP OP I'm surprised you got any constructive responses.

Read this from top to bottom then imagine, what what the responses would have been like if YOUR OP had included ALL relevent information you later reveaed.

You get out what you put in, so poor post & crxp replies.
Not trying to pick a fight here, genuinely interested, so if I'd have posted up 'need a very small 3ph board for a job' (or whatever), would I have not gotten a sensible reply until I'd posted up the entire design?

Like I said earlier, I do think some of you were keener to jump to derision than take it at face value, simply as it wasn't some factory or domestic situation.

Maybe.

Reply to Garden distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back