Garden distribution board | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Garden distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

ncpitts

Hi all,
I would like to pick your collective brains by asking if any of you has installed a DB/consumer unit in a garden or outside which is flat and flush to the ground . This one is by a lake and needs to be flat. It will be sat in grass/lawn
Ideas or solutions please

Ta lots

Nigel

I really don't understand why everyone is insulting the intelligence of the customer! Intelligence is not the same thing as knowledge or experience.
Without any electrical knowledge they have come up with something which on paper appears to be a workable soloution. They have then approached someone to bring their knowledge and experience in to the equation, that is where the plan appears to have fallen down!

As Tony has suggested underground/flush switchgear does exist. Some of the manhole covers you walk over in the high street are distribution boards!
Once the various cables are connected they get filled with resin to stope the water getting to the connections, only the fuses remain accessible.

What is this distribution board going to be feeding?

Yes, but if you put a consumer unit in a box and then fill it with resin it's going to be pretty awkard the reset the MCBs! Plus, if this thing is going to be flush with ground level, then it's going to get walked on/stood on and god knows what. Then, when someone opens the lid to reset an MCB, the water will run off the grass and into the enclosure. Lovely. Daz

Yes, but if you put a consumer unit in a box and then fill it with resin it's going to be pretty awkard the reset the MCBs! Plus, if this thing is going to be flush with ground level, then it's going to get walked on/stood on and god knows what. Then, when someone opens the lid to reset an MCB, the water will run off the grass and into the enclosure. Lovely. Daz

I didn't say you should put a CU full of MCBs in the ground and fill it with resin! Is sub that such things exist and are in use by the DNOs, they are units specifically designed for the purpose!

The original question mentioned putting a consumer unit in the ground though. If it was just underground connections then yes I agree, no problems. Daz

I really don't understand why everyone is insulting the intelligence of the customer! Intelligence is not the same thing as knowledge or experience.
Without any electrical knowledge they have come up with something which on paper appears to be a workable soloution. They have then approached someone to bring their knowledge and experience in to the equation, that is where the plan appears to have fallen down!

As Tony has suggested underground/flush switchgear does exist. Some of the manhole covers you walk over in the high street are distribution boards!
Once the various cables are connected they get filled with resin to stope the water getting to the connections, only the fuses remain accessible.

What is this distribution board going to be feeding?

Cameras Dave

Perhaps you had better show your customer the cost of a such a suitable Pop-Up.
I'd be prepared to catch him mind!! lol!!

You can overcome many problems if you aim enough money at them, whether it's money well spent is another matter altogether!!

I did , anyone who can afford to have over 500m of ducting laid for monitored camera security is not going to worry about £1800 if its the right thing for the job.
the original remit did not state limited budget and to be fair at the start you said it was crazy. without the ideas of serious posters I would not have thought of this

Nice! :)

ncpitts, just out of interest... did something in this thread help you find these, was it inspiration from elsewhere... or did you know about these all along and were just stringing everyone along? :angel_smile:

No Steve, not at all it was the manholes and cabinets mentioned by Rockingit that kind of pointed the way forward :stooge_curly:

I did , anyone who can afford to have over 500m of ducting laid for monitored camera security is not going to worry about £1800 if its the right thing for the job.
the original remit did not state limited budget and to be fair at the start you said it was crazy. without the ideas of serious posters I would not have thought of this

Who can argue with someone that has more money than sense!! ...lol!!

schneider do aa range of mcbs that you can remotely control

Why do you need a distribution board in the middle of the garden for a bunch of cameras?
Put the distribution board next to the control kit for the cameras, or is that being buried too?

Cameras will need naff all current so you'll probably be able to get a lot of them on one radial.

It can be done but it won't be cheap,think about the link boxes that are set into the pavement,you could use one of these and mount the CU inside it,all cables would have to be put in at once though as the bottom gets filled with resin to ensure it's watertight,regarding the condensation issue this could be cured by placing a couple of large bags of dessicant inside the enclosure.this is what BT do_Obviously the job should be done on a warm dry day as the lower humidity in the atmosphere would also limit the amount of potential condensation.

I can't see the problem really myself. a simple and long term solution to follow.

1) First get a nice square washing up bowel and fit the relevant packing glands to suit the cables.
2) find an old Wylex style board with rewire-able fuse carriers, glue this into the bowel with a suitable moisture resistant construction adhesive.
3) Terminate, test all connections fit fuses.
4) Fill up the washing bowel to the top with Silicone potting compound.
5) Cut a piece of 18mm marine ply and paint with three coats of waterproof paint.
6) Glue a piece of astro turf to one side of the plywood.
7) Place the turf lid onto the top top of the buried bowel as a lid.

Problem sorted, if the fuses go you can push your hands through the gel and remove them and then re seal.

I can't see the problem really myself. a simple and long term solution to follow.

1) First get a nice square washing up bowel and fit the relevant packing glands to suit the cables.
2) find an old Wylex style board with rewire-able fuse carriers, glue this into the bowel with a suitable moisture resistant construction adhesive.
3) Terminate, test all connections fit fuses.
4) Fill up the washing bowel to the top with Silicone potting compound.
5) Cut a piece of 18mm marine ply and paint with three coats of waterproof paint.
6) Glue a piece of astro turf to one side of the plywood.
7) Place the turf lid onto the top top of the buried bowel as a lid.

Problem sorted, if the fuses go you can push your hands through the gel and remove them and then re seal.

I'd stick to Pat Testing if i were you!! lol!!

Reply to Garden distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back