Garden lights... IP68 + vermin protection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Garden lights... IP68 + vermin protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just seeing what you all use use for buried garden light connections, to seal up fully from the elements/ vermin?

Been using 3M gel connectors for a while without any issues.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1983303O/3m-scotchlok-idc-connector-314-datasheet-en-eu.pdf?&fn=EMD_EMEA_Scotchlok-IDC-Connector-314_TDS_AABBDD51044_EN03_R2.pdf

Just been back to check on a job (tripping out) and looks like the gel has been eaten from inside the connectors.
Quite a few dead suspect ants 🐜 had found there way into our galvanised box !!

Have seen the wiska pourable gel, anyone use this ?

Thanks Sy

[ElectriciansForums.net] Garden lights... IP68 + vermin protection

[ElectriciansForums.net] Garden lights... IP68 + vermin protection

First problem: That box is not suitable for outside use. It isnt sealed in any respect. The fixing holes at the back will let in water and (as I can see) the top knock out has pushed in allowing more wet + critters to nestle in there.

There are proper junction boxed for burying. eg PRATLEY
You could try a WISKA box plus their MAGIC GEL

First problem: That box is not suitable for outside use. It isnt sealed in any respect. The fixing holes at the back will let in water and (as I can see) the top knock out has pushed in allowing more wet + critters to nestle in there.

There are proper junction boxed for burying. eg PRATLEY
You could try a WISKA box plus their MAGIC GEL
Thanks for the reply (and b@llocking 🙈).... so the Wiska Magic Gel is good then.

Time to give it a try I think

For buried connections for garden lighting etc, I use wiska boxes, wago 221's, and gel (I use the raytech magic gel, but I expect the wiska stuff is much the same). IMO gel is the only reliable way to do these junctions underground. CW glands for armoured cable, compression glands for flex.

I've also seen it done with galv. besa boxes, which actually hadn't corroded as much as you'd expect, as had been there a while (old colours).

Reply to Garden lights... IP68 + vermin protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net