Garden Wiring | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Garden Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

In your case say you we're going to run a lighting circuit off that RCD Spur, you'd fuse it accordingly say for example with a 3A fuse, it also has the RCD function so you are also protecting people from stray shears, pitchforks etc. It's a device used where you would have to meet the requirements of having RCD protected circuits where there is no main RCD so to speak. Similarly you can get IP rated RCD sockets too

Oh ok I understand. So thats unnecessary as the ring circuit is already protected. So I think i'm going to install an 13a FCU In the shed and run everything off of that, making sure that I limit the amount of accessories installed, enough to not blow the fuse when everything is switched on at once. I can't really do much better than that with the money and circumstances put in front of me.

Once I have qualified to level 3 c&g and nvq, part p ect, i will most likely rip out this whole setup and replace it correctly just for peace of mind (and to keep everyone on here happy :wink:) But at the moment this will have to do.

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. I learned a lot!

Supply new CU with 4mm armoured on a 32A mcb from the CU in house. Install circuits with 30ma RCD protection as a new installation. Cant go wrong and
install will be protected from faults at both ends of supply cable. Singles in conduit is a good idea for the outside work as protection from external influences, rodents etc. If in doubt design it out is the motto to live by.

Supply new CU with 4mm armoured on a 32A mcb from the CU in house. Install circuits with 30ma RCD protection as a new installation. Cant go wrong and install will be protected from faults at both ends of supply cable.

Not ideal as you'd have 2 x 30mA RCD's in series

Supply new CU with 4mm armoured on a 32A mcb from the CU in house. Install circuits with 30ma RCD protection as a new installation. Cant go wrong and
install will be protected from faults at both ends of supply cable. Singles in conduit is a good idea for the outside work as protection from external influences, rodents etc. If in doubt design it out is the motto to live by.

so when a light in the shed goes kaput it takes out 4 circuits in the house dual rcd board instead of just 1 circuit in the shed.
great design lol
;-)

But he's decent enough to do me a favour as a friend. Why can't anyone help? Rather than criticise??! I'll end up running an extension lead in a bin bag at this rate!

If he's decent enough to give you a cert , why isn't he decent enough to tell you how to do it? What has he said you should do?

It's all too late. Yesterday I installed the 2 sockets at the end of the garden. I ran 27m total of 2.5mm2 SWA from the 13a FCU i installed in the shed using 2.5 t+e, from the existing supply. The lights are to be installed in the near future.. I'll upload some pics of my nice and tidy (first) job soon!

It's all too late. Yesterday I installed the 2 sockets at the end of the garden. I ran 27m total of 2.5mm2 SWA from the 13a FCU i installed in the shed using 2.5 t+e, from the existing supply. The lights are to be installed in the near future.. I'll upload some pics of my nice and tidy (first) job soon!

i'm telling......

Reply to Garden Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net