gas combi boile rwiring | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss gas combi boile rwiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
going to wire up gas combi boiler tomorrow, with one stat and gas fire..

now i am nearly certain the wiring centre is built into the boiler.. never done gas boiler before, so any thing you want me to be aware of and you think will be useful info for me, il appreciate

its inside and will have programmer built in as far as i know.... yeah left the fused spur too supply it months ago, boiler only finished now.... i know no probs d me just asking case there is something that you's forgot or could of done as it is 60 miles away

OK .... here goes:

Assuming this is a brand-new-just-out-of-the-box & just-hung-on-the-wall-combi, the terminals which are inside it will have links across them which mean it will be quite happy to work WITHOUT either a timer or a room thermostat.

ALL it will need to make it work is a supply of mains electricity.

This will be supplied by means of a bit of 3 core flex which will EITHER be already fitted by the boiler manufacturer, or you will have to supply & fit to the terminals marked L, N & E inside the boiler.

The other end you can connect to EITHER a Switched Fused Spur - double pole with a 3 amp fuse OR a Pug Top fitted with a 3 amp fuse.

Now, if a timer is required, EITHER fit an internal one - supplied as an optional extra by the boiler manufacturer - which is literally plugged into the boiler fascia, OR fir an external one which is screwed to the wall & wired to the appropriate teminals inside the boiler - you'll need something like a 5 core flex or a 3 core + 2 core or 2 buts of 3 core - wired into the boiler where the link is which you will remove.

For the Room Thermostat, you'll fit this to the wall and wire it back to the boiler with either a bit of 3 core & earth if the Room Thermostat is fitted with an anticipator & needs a neutral, or a bit of 2 core & earth if it isn't fitted with an anticipator & therefore doesn't need an earth. the other end of this cable is wired into the boiler where the link is which you will remove.

If you use a Wireless Room Thermostat, the receiver for this is fitted to the wall next to the boiler and will be wired to the boiler as per the wired Room Thermostat - as above - but with either 5 core flex or 2 bits of 3 core.

Read the boiler manufacturer's instructions carefully & study both the wiring diagrams in those instructions and those supplied with the timer / thermostat.

I hope this helps.

il open this page on my iphone tomorrow morning and means i can read it again at the house im working at... and yes il read the data sheets... cheers

i think its just good to talk about before it happens. ty

Make sure when you do anything with gas boilers to fit a 3Amp fuse into the Spur, not doing so will most likely void any warranty. Best to have a read of the manufacturers instructions as they will have all the details and diagrams you need, I find each boiler varies.

If external controls you'd need a 4 core flex - l-n-e and switched live. Also a 4 pole isolator to allow maintenance of boiler. If this gas combi boiler is replacing an oil boiler you may have some fun with it as the oil most likely won't have had a permanent live, whereas the gas will need it.

ok went and looked at this boiler yesterday, do yo have to use your own connector block inside the boiler, as ive seen it it has a black lead with l-n-e which would obviously just connect it and would work , but if i want to use a stat i have to move a link in Ta1 ...

but do i use the connector block with ta1 anyway i got lost and had to go but il upload a few picss

[ElectriciansForums.net] gas combi boile rwiringBbbbbbbbbbb

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] gas combi boile rwiring
    image.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 79
Best to have a good read of the manufacturers instructions. Most likely it will be that one terminal of the link is your permanent live going out, the other is your switched live coming back.

Not done a major amount with gas as my area is still mainly oil boilers, with a handful of oil to gas conversions a year. Gas is still so new in Northern Ireland I've never been on a job to replace a boiler.

You would put your connections into their terminal block. If you have an external stat and timeclock then best bypass the timeclock on the boiler too.

Guys on the mainland will know more, many may be asking wtf is an oil boiler :icon10:

Reply to gas combi boile rwiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net