Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
I thought the router actively looking for certain devices that are no longer in range would slow it down… (maybe not a lot, but every little bit helps?)

I’m going to go through mine again tonight. I forgot about her Nintendo switch and her old phone that she drowned in a nightclub toilet. They can be removed.

This is part of the problem. Sky doesn't talk well to anything other than it's own cheap modem/routers. I'm more than happy to spend a (sensible) amount of dosh on a commercial level system and basically have two networks running on different subnets but the bottle-neck will always be the final last-mile out to the ISP. FTP would solve this in a heartbeat as I could just go and buy a fibre modem of my choice and a decent router, alas...

I've already got two AP's running and a total of five wifi LAN's on different IP ranges, but it's the same master DHCP server in the sky box...
I used to have similar issues, until I bought one of these

and 5 of these

you keep the sky router and turn off its wifi, connect a cable from router to Wan port on unifi and you are good to go.

I used to have similar issues, until I bought one of these

and 5 of these

you keep the sky router and turn off its wifi, connect a cable from router to Wan port on unifi and you are good to go.
Ha! I was looking at exactly that same Ubiquity combination earlier and emailed a local distributor for further advice. However, does the Sky box still not want to act as DHCP server and be a bottleneck?

Good morning all!
Just back from doing an airport run and can't decide whether to go back to bed or stay up. I've been awake since 1am anyway and I have a job on later this morning. I'll probably stay up and make breakfast which is scrambled eggs and smoked salmon and a glass of Cava...got to start the day off properly!

Ha! I was looking at exactly that same Ubiquity combination earlier and emailed a local distributor for further advice. However, does the Sky box still not want to act as DHCP server and be a bottleneck?
No, it will issue a single ip address to the dream machine.
Say 192.168.1.2

The dream machine will handle dhcp requests and for instance hand out the whole range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255

The sun is out, the sky is mainly blue and hopefully it'll be a good day. Yesterday was a pain but today looks promising. 3 x 400kV bushing oil samples, run diagnostics on a DGA analyser and prepare things for tomorrows transformer testing.

Morning @pirate @Moley @James

Might try that router thing for sky I could get rid of the virginmedia if the house didn't thrash the sky.

But the bushing oil thing goes over this layman's head 🙄 😒 😑

But that's fine ha

I've got clouds from north to south above me now. Mind it's 3 hours after you'd said. @Lou said we are having a 16hr storm Sunday night Monday morning but we had a teaspoon of rain. So has this storm gone somewhere else then or what.

Gas boilers must be being turned on as plumbers has started it's surge in 'my boiler won't turn on' type people we get around this time of year. That's the official end of summer for me.

No, it will issue a single ip address to the dream machine.
Say 192.168.1.2

The dream machine will handle dhcp requests and for instance hand out the whole range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255
Presumably though you have to turn off DHCP server within the sky box? And thus assign a static IP to the dream machine first?
How many simultaneous ranges can the DM provide under the same subnet? Using a class A I'd been looking for all three of 192.168, 10.x and 2.x's

ps - it won't ever issue a x.x.x.255 address as that's reserved, same as x.x.x.0

You can setup multiple network blocks, V lans, separate wifi networks running on the same access points. (If using there own access points)

DHCP can remain on for the sky router as it will give an address to the DM.
All network stuff is handled by the DM and only internet traffic is forwarded to the sky router, DHCP requests will not be forwarded through to the sky router.

You can setup multiple network blocks, V lans, separate wifi networks running on the same access points. (If using there own access points)

DHCP can remain on for the sky router as it will give an address to the DM.
All network stuff is handled by the DM and only internet traffic is forwarded to the sky router, DHCP requests will not be forwarded through to the sky router.
Thanks for this. All the AP's on POE or are there 'mains and mesh' options?

they are all POE however, if you cant get a network cable to a location, a poe injector will suffice and the AP will work in mesh mode. infact, if you have a pc near to it, then you can use the uplink port on the poe injector as a network port for the pc.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :)

[ElectriciansForums.net] Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :)

below, you can see that i have 2 wifi ssid. one a 5Ghz (fast) for most devices and a slower 2.4Ghz one as not all my smart home devices support 5Ghz

I have a single flat network but you can set up multiple networks and V lans if required

Just a quick comment to confirm that Ubiquity is excellent gear, I've used their network switches, AP points, point-to-point line of sight links and cctv cameras on a few jobs. As above, injectors are available and mesh mode works well.

Just a quick comment to confirm that Ubiquity is excellent gear, I've used their network switches, AP points, point-to-point line of sight links and cctv cameras on a few jobs. As above, injectors are available and mesh mode works well.
the only thing i would say is that their cctv cameras are expensive compared to others and their recorders will not accept feeds from other cameras.

other than that, they are my go to supplier for networking equipment now.

Well, 24 hours late but this is what we did yesterday morning

Plus 3 sets of these

Just managed to finish before the rain. Back home today. Got to pick the mother in law up from hospital this morning so my back up pension plan isn't working 💀🤣

That's mint @Moley !

Proper stuff! What 'qty' of power would run through that then. Like should it carry and how long do they last?

The voltages are just a little bit higher than your house. The square bolted bit is what we refer to as low voltage. That's the feed in from the generator. That's only around 21,000V. (Yes, we all know that's not LV) The other side, the tall brown bushings, is the output going off to the National Grid yard. That's at 400,000V. I can't remember the rating of the transformer so can't tell you the current rating.

Morning all.

The Esteemed badge will go back to normal (he says) now I've undone my broken attempt at improving it.

I've moved it so it become a bit harder to get, and that can be the top one. And I'll put 2 lower than it to encourage newbies to get used to clicking like on stuff that helped them, in the hope they then provide advice and join in.

It's a pretty quiet morning for me. The mother in law came out of hospital yesterday so the wife is staying over with her for a few days. So, when I say quiet morning I mean noise wise. It's peaceful.

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net