Granny charge point | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Granny charge point in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

grumpyjohn01

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I don't install EV chargers and have not kept up to any great extent on regs changes etc but an existing customer has asked for a 13a socket for her EV granny charger in a 2nd home. (the previous outdoor socket has melted!).
After doing a bit of reading including 722 I have come to the conclusion that providing a 13a socket for such dedicated use is pretty much pointless as complying with all requirements would be too onerous..(I'm assuming here that the granny charger itself does not contain RCD-DD or PEN fault circuitry).
Am I correct here? or do any of you seasoned EV installers have a work around?
So far I have advised the customer to seek quotes for a 'proper' charge point but I wonder if in fact they will just replace the outside socket and carry on until the next one melts etc etc as of course there is nothing to stop anyone plugging a granny charger into any socket they like.

Commonly known as mode 1 and 2 chargers and new vehicles must not be sold with this method of charging. 13A sockets used for this mode of charging must be identified as such by the manufacturer and there aren't many out there.
I would walk away from this because as you state there is more to it than fitting a socket.

Commonly known as mode 1 and 2 chargers and new vehicles must not be sold with this method of charging. 13A sockets used for this mode of charging must be identified as such by the manufacturer and there aren't many out there.
I would walk away from this because as you state there is more to it than fitting a socket.
Yes Thanks, I had found that Hager socket but having priced up that with a type B RCD and a PEN fault device and installing a dedicated circuit and all associated enclosures etc seemed as I said ...pointless as you would then be not far off the realms of having a proper EV charger installed..the customer's main point seemed to be she couldn't get a grant for a charger as it was a 2nd home..oh dear, how sad, never mind.!

Reply to Granny charge point in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net