have interview tomorrow, please help! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss have interview tomorrow, please help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys, I have an interview with TPS.360 tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this firm? What can I expect from the interview, i.e. what might I be asked?

Thanks.

This is all I could find on this company Voltz. Looks like they cover a lot of ground so you could be asked questions on a lot of subjects. What job are you applying for?

But, you know, first things first, best suit, tie, shiny shoes, good impression, goes a long way.

And chill out.

Electrical, Control & Instrumentation

Interesting looking company.
A curious mixture of areas they cover, Engineering, Electrical & Instrumentation, Building Services & Resin Flooring!

I like the look of the E & I.

Good luck with the interview, Voltz!

I work for a firm that do mechanical, electrical and instrumentation. I have both electrical and mechanical experience, but not much instrumentation, but im picking it up all the time. Im asked if ill do jobs to which i reply, "ive no experience but im happy to be shown". The engineer will then talk me through it if needed, and i crack on.
To be honest finding sparks with lots of experience in instumentation is rare, becuase all most sparks do is run the instrumentation cables in, and terminate to a drawing. The knowledge comes in the commisioning.

If you get the job, then if you see something you havent seen before, then come home and google it.This will give you basic info about how the systems work, and you can build on that.

ive done a fair few interviews in my time and i like to see that the applicants have looked into what sectors we work in for what contracts and what we are looking to do in the future, even if you dont know half about what it is, it shows willing and that your interested in the company. And remember to sell your self show confidence and you will be fine mate. Good luck

went ok. They asked a set format of questions that went along the usual lines, are you a leader or follower? what do you know about the company? Where do you want to be in 3 years? Are you willing to use your own car? and explain some testing stuff like how do you calculate cables sizes? What is the formula for Zs? Explain the importance of it? Explain how to test a ring final.

will find out monday.

cheers.

went ok. They asked a set format of questions that went along the usual lines, are you a leader or follower? what do you know about the company? Where do you want to be in 3 years? Are you willing to use your own car? and explain some testing stuff like how do you calculate cables sizes? What is the formula for Zs? Explain the importance of it? Explain how to test a ring final.

will find out monday.

cheers.

I hate those first 3 questions.
Technical stuff, stroll in the park! :)

Forget about it till Monday.

I couldn't quite remember the whole procedure for deciding on which cable/device to use, but explained about calculating load demand in amps from the power divided by the voltage, then choose a device rated nearest to that. Shamefully i folded a bit then and said I couldn't quite recall but it's in my book, then the conversation turned to voltage drop and he seemed happy that i knew the equation for that.

best o luck voltz......as archy.....tech stuff...i reckon you dont have anything here to worry about.....its just the other stuff.....like `are you a leader or follower`.....i suppose it depends on the type of job you have applied for really....wether you have to think on your feet or wether its `just do as i say not as you think`.....i think the fact that they were asking you if you were willing to use your own car might be a clue......as in you may be expected to go see to stuff on your own.......so that would be thinking on your feet as situations manefest themselves on site...wouldnt it.....and that demonstrates tendencies towards leadership........

Back in the late 80s, I had an interview with Ferranttis for a Software Engineer.
After having an argument with the interviewer over something techy, he leaves, a few minutes later some lass comes in and says 'I'm to show you off the premises'

So yours won't have been that bad!

For the record, HE was wrong! :)

i just said i'm bit of both, happy to follow under good leadership, but not backwards in coming forwards either. Somehow that got twisted around to him saying he wasn't happy about people griping under poor leadership, that people needed to be helped to be good leaders, grrrrrrr 'I wasn't saying that!

Don't you just hate when you think you giving a considered, balanced answer then you get made out to be a troublemaker?

Not a good point in the interview.

Local college taught this wrong for years until I pointed it out in the Regs!
SO, you were right.
I'll be in touch in a bit.
yes and i keep seeing 2 MEG as the minimum resistance value n all in here......ok granted if IR testing is conducted globally then yes 2MEG.....but you dont fail it do you......test each individual circuit....and its a minimum of 1 MEG.......

Back in the late 80s, I had an interview with Ferranttis for a Software Engineer.
After having an argument with the interviewer over something techy, he leaves, a few minutes later some lass comes in and says 'I'm to show you off the premises'

So yours won't have been that bad!

For the record, HE was wrong! :)
so what premises was this lass that came in showing you then Archy??....

yes and i keep seeing 2 MEG as the minimum resistance value n all in here......ok granted if IR testing is conducted globally then yes 2MEG.....but you dont fail it do you......test each individual circuit....and its a minimum of 1 MEG.......

yes i was asked about this as well. Got that bit right too, and referenced the old values!

Reply to have interview tomorrow, please help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net