Help with existing supply. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help with existing supply. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, just been to look at a job and need some advice.
Currently a large barn which is rarely used has literally a few lights and few sockets. Nothing much at all. The client is currently building a small dwelling utilizing part of the barn and building out off the barn.
There is a plant room which has a 3 phase supply and says on the switch gear it’s 200 amp.
The new dwelling will be approx 30 meters away from the plant room.
As I said before there isn’t much running in the barn and as far as I’m aware there prob won’t much going on in the barn in the future.
I’m looking for advice on the best way to supply the new dwelling, would it be ok to run it off one of the phases? As the other two phases will be unbalanced?
I know there’s not much info here I’m just thinking about it at the moment and need a bit of direction before I go back to the job to have a work out. Thanks in advance.

Hi, just been to look at a job and need some advice.
Currently a large barn which is rarely used has literally a few lights and few sockets. Nothing much at all. The client is currently building a small dwelling utilizing part of the barn and building out off the barn.
There is a plant room which has a 3 phase supply and says on the switch gear it’s 200 amp.
The new dwelling will be approx 30 meters away from the plant room.
As I said before there isn’t much running in the barn and as far as I’m aware there prob won’t much going on in the barn in the future.
I’m looking for advice on the best way to supply the new dwelling, would it be ok to run it off one of the phases? As the other two phases will be unbalanced?
I know there’s not much info here I’m just thinking about it at the moment and need a bit of direction before I go back to the job to have a work out. Thanks in advance.
Is there any 3 phase equipment at all installed at the moment? or ever likely to be? Or are the sockets single phase?

If there are no 3PH motors or loads then I can't see any issue with using one of the phases - I had one client where it was effectively used as 3 single phase supplies on the property, with separate meters

You'll have to protect your feed cable separately for that length, and of course consider voltage drop etc.

I assume there's a current 3 phase meter somewhere? It might be worth checking he's not on a commercial tarrif which might be more expensive than a domestic one for the new usage - but not sure if all of the more domestic suppliers will take on 3 phase meters.

Is there any 3 phase equipment at all installed at the moment? or ever likely to be? Or are the sockets single phase?

If there are no 3PH motors or loads then I can't see any issue with using one of the phases - I had one client where it was effectively used as 3 single phase supplies on the property, with separate meters

You'll have to protect your feed cable separately for that length, and of course consider voltage drop etc.

I assume there's a current 3 phase meter somewhere? It might be worth checking he's not on a commercial tarrif which might be more expensive than a domestic one for the new usage - but not sure if all of the more domestic suppliers will take on 3 phase meters.

There is meter equipment at supply entry and there was 3 phase equipment previously but since been disconnected.
That was my idea that you have said to run off one phase and put in a meter at the dwelling. I’ll need to have a work out of voltage drop like you say and was going to look into what size armored I’ll need to run. The new property won’t be using much power but I’ll be in talks at some point of what’s needed so I can work out demand.

There is meter equipment at supply entry and there was 3 phase equipment previously but since been disconnected.
That was my idea that you have said to run off one phase and put in a meter at the dwelling. I’ll need to have a work out of voltage drop like you say and was going to look into what size armored I’ll need to run. The new property won’t be using much power but I’ll be in talks at some point of what’s needed so I can work out demand.
The supplier won't put a meter in at the dwelling, and if there's a 3 phase meter existing and want a new supplier meter for the new property they'd want to replace the existing meter with single phase meters at the switch room I guess - but nothing stopping you putting your own meter in at the property of course.

The supplier won't put a meter in at the dwelling, and if there's a 3 phase meter existing and want a new supplier meter for the new property they'd want to replace the existing meter with single phase meters at the switch room I guess - but nothing stopping you putting your own meter in at the property of course.

Yer the idea was to put a meter in at the property as the client is renting it out to a farm hand. Although I get the feeling the farm hand is getting the property for free but they will just monitor energy use through the meter.

Yer the idea was to put a meter in at the property as the client is renting it out to a farm hand. Although I get the feeling the farm hand is getting the property for free but they will just monitor energy use through the meter.
Can you still buy coin meters? I think it was 50p in my student days in the early 90s, but doubt that would last long these days... :)

Can you still buy coin meters? I think it was 50p in my student days in the early 90s, but doubt that would last long these days... :)
Haha yer 50 p might not go to far these days
[automerge]1601501964[/automerge]
In the short term it might be much cheaper and quicker to fit a few MID-certified meters so the landlord can divide up the main bill by usage, rather than get the main metering setup replaced.

Oh really, I’ll have a look into that. If it makes the client happier then that’s always a good thing.

Reply to Help with existing supply. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net