help with steel conduit and trunking | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss help with steel conduit and trunking in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Il leave the conduit to the workers.

You meant to say "Electricians".:43:BTW, you said you were doing a PIR, signing off his work? Don't get it, it must have already passed an Initial Verification at the completion stage and all your doing is making sure it hasn't been damaged and is still safe.:innocent:

Yeh I've got the ticket to pass it off again....Conduit is a mates job.

Yeh I've got the ticket to pass it off again....Conduit is a mates job.

As I've said previously:Electricalserv.....there are standards across all sectors of the electrical industry as I'm sure a man of your experience is well aware. The industry accepted way of proving competency and good standards of workmanship to be able to comply with the Electricity at work regs 1989, the Health and Safety at work Act 1974 and all the Building regs., to name but a few guidelines which are used in a court of law, is to use qualified electricians for electrical installations and the commissioning and maintenance there of. This incorporates all aspects of the electrical installation including the containment systems used to carry and protect current carrying cables. When guys with no proven track record of experience/competency are let loose on this type of installation not only are they frauding the client who may think they are paying an electrician to do the works but their works may be sub-standard and in fact dangerous and this is where the law steps in and uses all the statutes and regulations at their disposal to deem as has been deemed in the past that the best and to date the only effective way of maintaining standards and competency in the electrical arena is to use a qualified electrician!

Conduit work may be in an electricians job description for certain installations, but, you don't have to have any electrical knowledge to install it. Its one of those jobs that can be done by someone told where to put it. It has no relevance to the way electrical systems work there is no technical electrical ability needed to install it. Its containment for electrical systems. Its a protection for the real work and therefore a real electrician will steer well clear of it. Call us lazy but if I can get away with not doing the pitts work I will and Il leave it to a mate.

You clearly don't have any concept of electrical containment systems to come out with a statement like that= It has no relevance to the way electrical systems work there is no technical electrical ability needed to install it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Conduit is still accepted by the IET as a method of providing a CPC and this is where technical ability comes into play, along with radius of bends,number of cores to be carried,external influences,etc etc etc!!! to name the most important factors. But as you say a complete and utter donkey, off the street can be trusted to do this technical portion of the electrical trade to a competent standard?

oTechnical ability to bond conduit lol (which the spark will do) Cable capacity and influences (which the spark will do). Technical ability to bend radius lolololol. The pipe bender has all the markings for any monkey to do it. Lets get it straight madmac. Conduit is a mates job and thats that!. Godd for you if you're getting 14ph to do it but don't lie to yourself that your doing the good work...

Any old labourer can bend steel. My arl fella a steel fabricator and he can smash conduit anywhere. Is he a spark?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye let's get it straight Electricalserv as you said "any monkey can do it" says it all really and I'd love to see the monkey you hired and the state of the job left behind because you wouldn't know what a properly installed containment system looked like to save yourself! And regards to "the good work", I do all the work required of a fully qualified, time served electrician and It's guys like you who are ruining the trade by declaring that conduit is for labourers when it is sometimes 70% of an electricians job on some projects!

Aye let's get it straight Electricalserv as you said "any monkey can do it" says it all really and I'd love to see the monkey you hired and the state of the job left behind because you wouldn't know what a properly installed containment system looked like to save yourself! And regards to "the good work", I do all the work required of a fully qualified, time served electrician and It's guys like you who are ruining the trade by declaring that conduit is for labourers when it is sometimes 70% of an electricians job on some projects!

Don't agree mate. Its a labourers job. Its bending steel at angles and fixing it to a structure. Not sparking!

Well your not kidding anyone here mate but I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying that you think it's a labradors job and when your work dries up and the only offer on the table is a conduit job then just remember what side of the fence you are on, and don't moan when a non spark steals the bread from your table brother!

Don't agree mate. Its a labourers job. Its bending steel at angles and fixing it to a structure. Not sparking!

So are we saying that Steel conduit= Not sparking, plastic conduit= Not sparking, Trunking= Not sparking, Basket= Not sparking. Where does it end?
A decent mate can preform these tasks but in my experience they don't just turn up on site one day and master it, they are taught, by who? Sparks

So are we saying that Steel conduit= Not sparking, plastic conduit= Not sparking, Trunking= Not sparking, Basket= Not sparking. Where does it end?
A decent mate can preform these tasks but in my experience they don't just turn up on site one day and master it, they are taught, by who? Sparks

Its a job that needs doing in some installations. You don't need any qualifications to fit conduit though and theres my point. To say you are not a spark if you don't do conduit is laughable. Anyone can do conduit lol. Some better than others. But to say you must be able to do conduit to be an electrician is a joke.

Electricalserv is trying to renegotiate the set in stone national agreement of the electrical industry because "he knows best". This is what mobs were trying to do about 12 years ago with SMA(steel mechanical assemblers)!!! and it got voted down by union members as a direct attack on our jobs!

I don't think I implied that, as can been seen in my quote. But I do believe its part of a general Electricians job role along with many other tasks that not all of us perform on a day to day basis and is therefore still sparking. It's also worth noting that the mojority of training syllabus in elec install covers containment.

I don't think I implied that, as can been seen in my quote. But I do believe its part of a general Electricians job role along with many other tasks that not all of us perform on a day to day basis and is therefore still sparking. It's also worth noting that the mojority of training syllabus in elec install covers containment.

A previous poster quoted that you aen't an electrician if you can't do conduit! What a load of rubbish. I have done conduit installations on the 2330 tech cert practicals and passed then no problem. My point is the real sparking is in the wiring, design and certification. Containment is a mates job. End off.

End off? Don't you mean end of? BTW I don't have a problem with an electrician who decides not to do conduit in his day to day activities but I do have a problem with you stating that it's a labourers/mates job!
And doing a bit of conduit on a tech course doesn't come close to a proper conduit install! You have a very bad attitude to the industry that feeds you and one day you might need to call on this skill to bail you out and you will be found wanting! BTW "real sparking" is being able to do all aspects and not cherry picking the easy bits that YOU think you're good at!:smoking:

electra serv lets get this right im a time served electrician and i was taught conduit in college and on various sites by older sparks who have been there got the t shirt i couldnt do conduit when i first started but after spending lots of time with older sparks not mates i learnt it i was taught by electricians because it is an electricians job if it was a mates job who teaches mates i havnt got anything against mates there trying to earn a living just like me but before you done your short college course mates were there to assist a electrician fetch and carry etc

End off? You have a very bad attitude to the industry that feeds you and one day you might need to call on this skill to bail you out and you will be found wanting! BTW "real sparking" is being able to do all aspects and not cherry picking the easy bits that YOU think you're good at!:smoking:

I haven't got a bad attitude to the industry that feeds me becau I rarely use steel conduit. I do domestic and light commercial and it doesn't come up very often at all. If it does its a piece of p because I'm not doing a whole warehouse of the stuff. Its not hard. Its the donkey work of being a commercial or industrial electrician and thats why 'MATES' do it!

It's not hard to install a bit of PVC conduit on a bit of chip board for the college course. If it doesnt come up in your line of work very often then fair enough but you can't say its not an electricians job when it clearly is!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

It's not hard to install a bit of PVC conduit on a bit of chip board for the college course. If it doesnt come up in your line of work very often then fair enough but you can't say its not an electricians job when it clearly is!

I'm not saying that. Somebody said you're not an electrician if you don't do conduit! I said Rubbish. Conduit is an Electricians mates job. Yes you have electricians doing it but you don't have to have spark knowledge to install it.

Btw on 2330 you need to do a steel conduit install within a booth. Lighting circuit and a socket circuit. Easy enough. But proves you can work with it. Its not hard like people make out....Its an art etc. Yes some better than others but if its installed to the regs and is stable fair does job done!

I do agree with you with the fact that someone saying your not an electrician if you can't/don't do conduit but then again I wouldn't say it's just a mates job. To be honest with you when I did the 2330 install it wasn't galv conduit but PVC which involved a 90 from an adaptable box and a set into the C.U.

perhaps you didnt here me elctrserv go back to page 3 of this thread and read again quite cleary it says your not much of an electrician in my eyes if you cant do conduit ill await your appoligies

Reply to help with steel conduit and trunking in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net