Hmo or standard rental | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Hmo or standard rental in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Question for you/ your oppinion.

I have a customer that owns a 3 bed hmo and has asked me to install and sign of a new consumer unit for him.

Thing is he has said he doesn't want afdd’s installed due to cost and claims he will no longer rent it as an hmo. I don’t believe him.

So how do I cover my arse on this one? Do I specifically state “Rental non HMO consumer unit” on the EIC?

Open to suggestions,
Thanks in advance!

If a 3 bed is vacant it isn’t a HMO.
If rented to a family it isn’t a HMO.
If rented to 2 or more households it becomes one.
Options are
A) walk away believing it’s going to be a HMO soon
B) decide that while it’s vacant it isn’t one and take the chance to make it safer.

(IMHO the regs should have said registered HMO which is clear cut for 4 beds plus)

In Coventry, all HMOs require a licence. Then again, each council makes it's own rules apparently. But if licensed, then surely it doesn't matter whether it's vacant or otherwise, it's a licensed HMO.
You can check your council's website to see if the property is registered as an HMO.

@loz2754 if it’s been licensed, I agree 100%
But we haven’t established that at this point.

Other authorities have their own rules about whether the HMO needs a license or not.
E.g London only needs a license if it’s 5 or more people from 2 households.

If unlicensed, it’s a 3 bed house until 3 people from different households are tenants as the HMO label entirely depends on occupancy.

Thanks for the advice,

I actually had no idea about the HMO licensing rules so have learnt a lot.

Just did a search, its not licensed as an HMO with the council and only has one room in use at the mo, so technically the landlord is correct.

Reply to Hmo or standard rental in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net