How and what I need to issue a EIC for an Industrial unit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How and what I need to issue a EIC for an Industrial unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I complete my AM2s in February this year. I am going self-employed as of 04/10/2024. I have asked prior about issuing a EIC for a domestic. So, I am already under the impression i need my 2391, Public Liability, and a Calibrated MFT ofc. I am going to be joining a CPS once i have completed my 2391.

Once all the above is complete, how do I go about certifying my own work in an industrial setting?

Do you need to be part of a CPS to do industrial work?

All advice is much appreciated and this daunting time!

Thank You

RJ

Your 2391 course should teach you how to fill out the forms for electrical reports.

You only need to certify work that you have done, an eicr is just that, a report on the condition of the installation, not a certification.

You don't need to be part of a CPS to do industrial work ( I am not and it is 99% of my work)
however,
To do a good quality report in an industrial setting unless it is a new build in the last few years, you may find yourself in trouble if you don't understand previous wiring standards and techniques.

For instance, the last place i worked at had 4 x 400A ring circuits to feed the machinery and distribution boards.
you may find a lot of things that were not on the curriculum of any of your training and have to make decisions about their suitability for continued use.
get it wrong in one way and you may have to justify it when someone is hurt or there is a fire.
get it wrong the other way and you will have no recommendations flowing out to other businesses

If you have been involved in industrial electrics for years and are only just now getting the qualifications then I expect you will be fine.

If you think that you can come in green and just do the formal training, you may find that industrial eicr's are a lot harder than you think.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

Your 2391 course should teach you how to fill out the forms for electrical reports.

You only need to certify work that you have done, an eicr is just that, a report on the condition of the installation, not a certification.

You don't need to be part of a CPS to do industrial work ( I am not and it is 99% of my work)
however,
To do a good quality report in an industrial setting unless it is a new build in the last few years, you may find yourself in trouble if you don't understand previous wiring standards and techniques.

For instance, the last place i worked at had 4 x 400A ring circuits to feed the machinery and distribution boards.
you may find a lot of things that were not on the curriculum of any of your training and have to make decisions about their suitability for continued use.
get it wrong in one way and you may have to justify it when someone is hurt or there is a fire.
get it wrong the other way and you will have no recommendations flowing out to other businesses

If you have been involved in industrial electrics for years and are only just now getting the qualifications then I expect you will be fine.

If you think that you can come in green and just do the formal training, you may find that industrial eicr's are a lot harder than you think.

Best of luck in your endeavours.
So, I’m more aiming for the domestic setting myself and I don’t plan on EICR straight away. I am almost certainly not aiming for the industrial sector for EICR work. I’ve been an electrician 4 years, I’m 24 and now I am just wanting to get started on my own.

I have had a job come in installing 3 x 3phase sockets in a unit of a friend of mine. I was more after the process of installing the 3 x sockets and how I go about issuing an Electrical installation Certificate for the work I will be carrying out.

Reply to How and what I need to issue a EIC for an Industrial unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net