How can you clear a fault but have no power | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss How can you clear a fault but have no power in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

Big old house with upstairs lights tripping. Barely any access in attic due to old beams etc.

Insulation resistance fault of 0.34 Live to Earth
Disconnected all conductors at assumed first light fitting.
IR fault at CCU now >10MO
I re-energise at the CCU so I can see if any other lights are now working so I can narrow down the fault.

BUT, I test for power at the conductors i've disconnected at the first fitting and there is no power there!
How is that possible? If the fault is before the fitting then it would still fail the IR test, surely

p.s. I suspect rodents but don't know yet

Old house, old wiring?

Is it joint box, or loop in (3 plate) wiring?

Beams or not, I expect you’re going to need to go up into the attic.

Are rodents likely? Fields nearby? Existing evidence?
At this "first" fitting it's loop in. The rest appear to be joint boxes and old par 38 light fittings.
It is reasonably old wiring but not ancient.
it's near wildlife / golf course and although i haven't seen droppings i have come across gnawed insulation

Reply to How can you clear a fault but have no power in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net