How do I do an R1 + R2 test? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How do I do an R1 + R2 test? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
BORED!!!

The last few weeks I've been scrolling through new posts and most aren't too dissimilar from the mundane title of this one, either that or someone bleeting on about Part Pee. Where have all the meaty debates gone? I need something to get my teeth in to, whatever the subject!

Eng, WP, Tel, Archy, DW, MDJ, Glenn, Geordie, Guitarist, Tazz, Tony, Brucelee, Rocker, Rockingit, Markiesparkie, Widdler, dare I say it.. Biff, hell.. even Cockburn!!!... Where are you all????

p.s. Sorry if you didn't get a mention, there are too many to name!

Last edited:
If a qualified Electrician walked into a canteen full of other qualified Electricans etc then asked a question so dum that it would put his competence to question then he will expect a barrage of belittling comments....

Ive said this before ...anyone can have a blonde moment or even have a lack of experience in some sectors of the job which will lead to their question... its easy to spot this kind of question from the way its written so replies will be adjusted to suit... its when you get a level of question from a practising Electrician that is to be expected to be first year apprentice stuff that we will show our concerns ....we have to make a judgement call and when we are advising on a subject that by its nature is dangerous both to the OP and his customers then we have to make it clear that he shouldn't be asking a question of that basic level..... this is where the OP's reply can mean the difference between an onslaught of negative replies or constructive accepted advice.... unfortunately the more that posters like yourself Reg' create a dividing wall by challenging negative replies the more this site becomes about them and us and not about the safety of the OP and his customers...

You raise a good point and it is already known that some members offer little advice but are quite happy to ridicule and when this is seen i myself make a point to ridicule said poster with regards to their limited constructive input and excessive negative output... No matter where you are this is always the case from the school playground, the Pub or on a Forum.... luckily the Forum offers better protection than most places with the option of blocking members and even seeing a ban imposed... its also a place where those who are shielded from reality in the real world can expect to hear the truth and/or realise their competence - A 6ft 4" muscle bound sparkie will probably never be told by other sparkies if he is incompetent in the real world but on here at least his intimidating stature won't be barrier to him learning the truth.... hope you see the point im trying to get across their?

The truth is the system has been dumbed down so much we now have on paper fully qualified Electricians who are not safe or competent to do their job and on the occasion we point this out we shouldn't be looked on as a pack of hungry wolves waiting to crush all those who cross paths.... if i consider a post to be so basic it questions the competence of the OP then i will point this out this does not mean im belittling them its because i have concerns that involve theirs and others safety. Check our profiles and look at the likes and Thanks we receive, we dont get these for slating all who pass.

We have a separate section for training level apprentices and DIY so when such questions are asked within the main forum area im afraid (dependent of the question) my first thought is is it rabbit or duck season!

If a qualified Electrician walked into a canteen full of other qualified Electricans etc then asked a question so dum that it would put his competence to question then he will expect a barrage of belittling comments....

Ive said this before ...anyone can have a blonde moment or even have a lack of experience in some sectors of the job which will lead to their question... its easy to spot this kind of question from the way its written so replies will be adjusted to suit... its when you get a level of question from a practising Electrician that is to be expected to be first year apprentice stuff that we will show our concerns ....we have to make a judgement call and when we are advising on a subject that by its nature is dangerous both to the OP and his customers then we have to make it clear that he shouldn't be asking a question of that basic level..... this is where the OP's reply can mean the difference between an onslaught of negative replies or constructive accepted advice.... unfortunately the more that posters like yourself Reg' create a dividing wall by challenging negative replies the more this site becomes about them and us and not about the safety of the OP and his customers...

You raise a good point and it is already known that some members offer little advice but are quite happy to ridicule and when this is seen i myself make a point to ridicule said poster with regards to their limited constructive input and excessive negative output... No matter where you are this is always the case from the school playground, the Pub or on a Forum.... luckily the Forum offers better protection than most places with the option of blocking members and even seeing a ban imposed... its also a place where those who are shielded from reality in the real world can expect to hear the truth and/or realise their competence - A 6ft 4" muscle bound sparkie will probably never be told by other sparkies if he is incompetent in the real world but on here at least his intimidating stature won't be barrier to him learning the truth.... hope you see the point im trying to get across their?

The truth is the system has been dumbed down so much we now have on paper fully qualified Electricians who are not safe or competent to do their job and on the occasion we point this out we shouldn't be looked on as a pack of hungry wolves waiting to crush all those who cross paths.... if i consider a post to be so basic it questions the competence of the OP then i will point this out this does not mean im belittling them its because i have concerns that involve theirs and others safety. Check our profiles and look at the likes and Thanks we receive, we dont get these for slating all who pass.

We have a separate section for training level apprentices and DIY so when such questions are asked within the main forum area im afraid (dependent of the question) my first thought is is it rabbit or duck season!
oh...
so thats why i`v managed to blagg my way about at work all this time then.....

looks like i`v been found out...

m8 i get all of that, i really do, the problem lies with the different level of abilities it seems, simples. Maybe there should be more levels i.e beginners, intermediate, advanced, pro ect ect. Are you a safety officer? are you a lawyer? are you a HSE? no, so why keep acting like it just be polite with people gets further than abuse, surely? and if they persist ignore people???cant be hard. let the experts in these fields decide, you cant take it upon yourself to become a judge lol wtf!! your taking the pea out of the admin people really, if they got issues they can tell people. Im mystified into how you still think abuse ect.. is accoutable for,lol. You bang on about safety ect when you or others could end up in a dock for online abuse, as stated before its being taken more and more serious online these days.

Please STOP justifying abuse it has no place in society. You know i'm right.

Abuse isn't ok i never said it was .... expressing someone should know the question they have posted if they are actively practicing electrical work is not abuse ... yes i know it happens but not to the extent that is made out, it gets to a stage now where you provide constructive advice to the OP but because he thinks its an attack on his competence he'll go into a flap and get all nasty.

Abuse should not be tolerated PERIOD! The definition on what is actually abuse is where i think most people come to loggerheads ...... i personally prefer to give constructive advice as a rule but even this is thrown back in my face when others start shouting we've got our heads up our own asses ...sometimes its just the case when you've been stung by one bee you tend to fear the rest.

Often ive been attacked by the OP for my advice saying im belittling them but i quickly point out that if they actually read the post it is not in any way... apologies usually follow.... as i said people do get stung on here ill agree but it puts them in the frame of mind to look for negative rather than actually what the posts say.

Abuse isn't ok i never said it was .... expressing someone should know the question they have posted if they are actively practicing electrical work is not abuse ... yes i know it happens but not to the extent that is made out, it gets to a stage now where you provide constructive advice to the OP but because he thinks its an attack on his competence he'll go into a flap and get all nasty.

Abuse should not be tolerated PERIOD! The definition on what is actually abuse is where i think most people come to loggerheads ...... i personally prefer to give constructive advice as a rule but even this is thrown back in my face when others start shouting we've got our heads up our own asses ...sometimes its just the case when you've been stung by one bee you tend to fear the rest.

Often ive been attacked by the OP for my advice saying im belittling them but i quickly point out that if they actually read the post it is not in any way... apologies usually follow.... as i said people do get stung on here ill agree but it puts them in the frame of mind to look for negative rather than actually what the posts say.

Well yeah to be honest it wasn't you i should have aimed it at, you seem decent compared to some, first time we've spoken i believe.

god this thread is so pointless and tedious im almost relieved to have been given a personal invitation by the OP to trash it , saves any tears later. ;-)

as to where have all the meaty debates for the big boys dissappeared to ?
i dunno really.
i imagine anyone whos been here for more than 18 months is unlikely to see any new technical topic theyve not encountered before.
add to that the undenyable dumbing down of enquiries from "passing forum traffic"
i dont mind too much to be honest as i enjoy the banter & clowning around and we all have different reasons for using the site.
if you want to be serious about your professional discussions then pop over to the IET forum with many other industry big guns , but be warned there are no "like" buttons or animated smiley icons !
;-)

m8 i get all of that, i really do, the problem lies with the different level of abilities it seems, simples. Maybe there should be more levels i.e beginners, intermediate, advanced, pro ect ect. Are you a safety officer? are you a lawyer? are you a HSE? no, so why keep acting like it just be polite with people gets further than abuse, surely? and if they persist ignore people???cant be hard. let the experts in these fields decide, you cant take it upon yourself to become a judge lol wtf!! your taking the pea out of the admin people really, if they got issues they can tell people. Im mystified into how you still think abuse ect.. is accoutable for,lol. You bang on about safety ect when you or others could end up in a dock for online abuse, as stated before its being taken more and more serious online these days.

Please STOP justifying abuse it has no place in society. You know i'm right.

This sort of tosh is when a dislike button would be great.

Boydy

Reply to How do I do an R1 + R2 test? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back