I would post this in the trainee forum but I havent been accepted yet | Page 9 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I would post this in the trainee forum but I havent been accepted yet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofts

so I will fire away.

Im working on a house at the moment that has 2 rings. one up and one down. the one downstairs has the kitchen on it so I am going to put a new kitchen ring in which will leave three rings in total. upstairs ring,downstairs ring and kitchen ring. as the kitchen ring is one the downstairs ring currently I obviously need to joing the cables that were done so via the sockets previously so it remains a ring as such. I was going to use Junction boxes but I was wondering if I could use these instead

LINE 32A 3 Port Push In Connector [L3P32] - £0.14 : for electricians by electricians

Live ------------ -------------- Live
Earth ----------- -------------- Earth
Neutral --------- -------------- Neutral

would I just connect one to each end of the cable making sure each one is put in the same or .......

thanks for any help

i aint got anything against anyone trying to work and trying to do what they want to earn a living, i have to ask questions aswell, but i ask the people i work with, not complete strangers on a forum. dont you think thats a better idea? you will get to the level you want a lot quicker and safer

Thats where all the problem is, he is working alone as qualified electrician and have no one suprevising him and his employer doesnt know that he is clueless..

I agree but im not working with any other sparks atm. When I am of course ill ask questions. Im sure if they see me doing something a particular way and they have an alternative/better way they will share this with me but untill then this place is all ive got really. its not ideal but its how it is at the minute. I feel that at least im looking to find the anser instead of just doing what I think but again i take a beating because of it

I agree but im not working with any other sparks atm. When I am of course ill ask questions. Im sure if they see me doing something a particular way and they have an alternative/better way they will share this with me but untill then this place is all ive got really. its not ideal but its how it is at the minute. I feel that at least im looking to find the anser instead of just doing what I think but again i take a beating because of it

It's all wrong what you are doing end off. You are wiring and energising electrical systems without supervision or testing and inspecting them. You are obviously neither competent or qualified to do this work if you need to use a forum to find out basic information. You need to make a stand with who ever it is employs you and insist on the work being tested and inspected before it is energised. If they don't bother sending someone then leave it isolated.

It's all wrong what you are doing end off. You are wiring and energising electrical systems without supervision or testing and inspecting them. You are obviously neither competent or qualified to do this work if you need to use a forum to find out basic information. You need to make a stand with who ever it is employs you and insist on the work being tested and inspected before it is energised. If they don't bother sending someone then leave it isolated.
I don’t think he would listen, the only think that maters to him is the money he is getting, and he will keep quite as long as he can,who cares about the safety of the clients.

Of course I'm worried about killing someone I dont want to do that I'm more klconcerned about not killin myself however if I was honest

That's where your going wrong Lofty, you can avoid killing yourself all the time you are working on the circuit just by turning it off!!!
You then turn it on and leave!! Wake up man. This is why you shouldn't be doing it. You have totally the wrong mind set.

I obviously need to joing the cables that were done so via the sockets previously so it remains a ring as such. I was going to use Junction boxes but I was wondering if I could use these.....

Lofts, you're worrying me, you're asking the most basic of questions that anyone with even a little experience in the industry should know the answers to.

Im working alone mate,

... and the supervisor said its not having one......
I asked if you were working alone or supervised and your first answer was alone then later you say you have a supervisor.

any chance you can let me no if I can get on the training forums so I can ask question after question

You obviously misunderstand what the trainee forum is about. It's there as support for guys who are at college, it's not there for inexperienced installers to get blow by blow info on how to do their daily work.

I think someone else comes in and does them.....I would be horrified if like my last firm they didnt bother to test before commisioning but i suppose it might happen
I have a socket tester do can at least energise and check all me lights come on.
Im willing to have a go tho so am gonna get the testing book and ask for a tester to borrow
Yes I would energise the circuit
You're working without the knowledge or the equipment to perform basic tests on the circuits you're working on.

Of course I'm worried about killing someone I dont want to do that I'm more klconcerned about not killin myself however if I was honest
You even realise that what you're doing is likely to end in injury or worse.

I understand you need to make a living but my advice is to stop what you're doing, you're clearly out of your depth and likely to kill someone so go find a job with an installation team who can supervise and advise you on the way it should be done. I'm one inch away from closing this thread for safety reasons, if you've got valid technical questions you're welcome to ask them but trying to get step by step advice on doing work you aren't competent to carry out needs to stop now I'm afraid.

If you are genuinely concerned about yours and others safety then something obviously needs to change. You need to go to your employer and insist on someone working alongside you and testing thoroughly everything you do before it is energised.
You have been told enough times now that with your apparent level of knowledge and competence, you simply should not be working unsupervised in peoples homes.
To let this situation continue is not acceptable, and is completely your responsibility.

Whether you accept this or not is up to you.

This forum is all for guiding people through their training and offering advice for sparks to improve their skills and knowledge. What you don't seem to understand though is that the unsupervised work environment is not a suitable arena to train in.
It is for this reason you get flack, not your lack of knowledge itself.

You need to take the bull by the horns and tell your supervisor you can't do your job without asking for help on a forum every other day. If you don't take all action in your power to remedy this situation then you are reckless and dangerous. Words that I never hope you get called by someone in a curly white wig.

This forum is all for guiding people through their training and offering advice for sparks to improve their skills and knowledge. What you don't seem to understand though is that the unsupervised work environment is not a suitable arena to train in.
It is for this reason you get flack, not your lack of knowledge itself.

That is bang on, well said Andy

Reply to I would post this in the trainee forum but I havent been accepted yet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net