in need of some advise | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss in need of some advise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

alex_b

-
Reaction score
Hi, im fairly new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me out . . .

I've been asked to help someone wire up some free standing lamps similar to the one below, straight forward i know, but they then said they wanted more than the one shade/lamp on the one plug, if this possible, as if i use a wiska box/jb they would need to be fixed, and you can't get two bits of flex into a lamp holder. Hopefully the pic works below,

Any suggestions would be appreciated [ElectriciansForums.net] in need of some advise

Thanks

Alex

Its ok its a pub.. There will be beer up the walls in few days anyway

What 'classy up market' pub do you go to? My old local got closed down because the barman was selling 'coke' with his vodkas...

My new one not much better, permenant smell of pis$ everywhere and crap / puke all over the bogs...urinal and the dumpster.

And on writing that, im just wondering why i actually go in everyweek lol.

My old local used to be like that to be fair.. Now its been done out.. Well the bogs smell of domestics and the bar smells of paint

Mind you i worked away once and one bar i went to i asked where the gents were (Toilets that is) he pointed to a sign and a door. anyway went out and it was a yard with a big wall painted white and stunk off pee.. confused went back in and asked he said yes that the mens toilet just pee against the wall. Id of loved to see the womens

My old local used to be like that to be fair.. Now its been done out.. Well the bogs smell of domestics and the bar smells of paint

Mind you i worked away once and one bar i went to i asked where the gents were (Toilets that is) he pointed to a sign and a door. anyway went out and it was a yard with a big wall painted white and stunk off pee.. confused went back in and asked he said yes that the mens toilet just pee against the wall. Id of loved to see the womens

Haha. :rofl:

The only possible way to describe that is, sexy.

I find it funny how pubs love the air-con on in this weather, and the c/h on in the summer.

Same as bloody offices, when ive been doing bits and bobs around office staff in the summer i sweat buckets.

is that an old copper Jelly Mould ? should really have a brass lamp holder with an earth.

if that's to go on a plug I would not have more than 2 on it, and would put a 3Amp fuse in the Plug....

There are RCD/safety breaker plugs which will accept 2 flexes/wires and these are also fused, Google "Masterplug" and you will see them....they sell them in Screwfix as well.....about £7 each...
You can get Brass effect 3 core cable from B&Q which will look better...

Change the fuse to 3A(important)

Use Earthed Brass Lamp(Bulb) holder, you can buy these in B&Q(important)

Keep the length of the flexes/leads/cables to less than 2 and a half meters(250 cm) long....

And have them PAT tested in a local shop once they are made up...won't cost much...(very important)

forgot to add, if this is for a pub, I would not recommend it, as the flexes/cables could become a danger in a public area where they could easily be damaged by customers or staff, and children could access them easily and pull at them whilst playing...

I find it funny how pubs love the air-con on in this weather, and the c/h on in the summer.

Same as bloody offices, when ive been doing bits and bobs around office staff in the summer i sweat buckets.

Pubs put on the Air conditioning in winter to make you buy a "bracing drink" to warm you up...and in summer they put on the heating to make you buy a cold drink......food shops put the heating on in summer to make you buy cold drinks and the heating goes off in winter, or gets turned down to make you hungry and also to want to get back to the warm car fast, so you rush your shopping and buy more than you really want in your time there...as well as a snack to eat as soon as you get into the car...
Clothes shops put the heating on in summer to make you rush round and not really think as much about what you are buying, and in winter they turn the heating off to make you cold and rush around the shop with the same result...

Computer and TV shops very carefully monitor and manage their ambient temperature in order to make your time there as comfortable as possible so that you come to a buying decision for that £3000 "smart TV" and the £800 speaker package to go with it....plus some extra batteries for the remote @£6.99 for a four pack of AA ones...

Also shops use something they call "Planograms" in the industry, they carefully manage exactly where products are placed to a strict floorplan and shelf layout in order to pick out the best attention points to sell to customers using covert suggestive influencing and psychology....
The very most profitable items, even on supposed "special offers" go on the isle ends...

The supermarkets charge suppliers/manufacturers money to put them into better parts of the shops/stores, and also demand large quantities of free stock to sell on at a profit, and the suppliers buckle and submit to this because of the buying/selling power that the supermarkets have...

The less money off stock orders they give and the less lorryloads of free stock, the poorer the area of the shop/store their items get put into...its all greed...I have spoken to suppliers who always complain about the big supermarkets and the big DIY stores…

would just like to pop in my tuppence worth here....

if you buy made in the UK (by looking at the labels) then you are supporting manufacturers in Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales.....if I look at a "top brand name" and I see that they have shifted production outside the UK, I will then look at the supermarkets own brand label, if that says made in the UK, I will buy it...

it is these factory workers and these manufacturing companies that will be hiring our services and giving us work, not ones far far away.....and it is also helping prop up the economy here before any other manufacturers fold and close down, or get sold off to greedy foreign bankers and "investment instruments" and end up being closed and moved out to far flung shores with what sometimes amounts to slave labour...not to forget the profits being derived here on these shores being siphoned off to bank accounts abroad never to return...

just do what the Americans do, buy local.....they get away with it.....yet if we talk about it people complain ( the ones making the fast easy money do anyway)

I would tell you more but that would probably put me on some kind of list to be shrinkwrapped or something as the big players would probably get really peed off..

rant over :)

ok now the supermarkets will probably get me.....

Keel heem.....

(found upside down in a giant vat of 50% extra free yoghurt)

Last edited:
there are many thing to take into account like cable length due to the longer the flex you wil get volt drop and the enviroment it is in and the size of lamps used i.e how many whats so correct fuse size is fitted and the circuit is protected by a rcd

Reply to in need of some advise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net