In the confessional.... | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss In the confessional.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave Appleby

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning everyone.

As the weekend fast approaches I thought a little confessional thread might be in order.

We've all seen and critiqued dodgy work, however, I thought let's try something different.

Have you ever had a moment where you have been on a job and suddenly had an. "Oh you stupid idiot" moment?

I'll start...

Consumer units work far better if you actually remember to insert the busbar.

Felt a right numpty when I finally realised what was going on.

Another one is putting the ladders on the van roof rack and then forgetting about them

And forgetting the clamp
One and only time I did that it stayed in place until I had to brake sharply for an oncoming car in a narrow lane. Ladder shot off and landed neatly in the gap between me and the oncoming POLICE car. (What's the odds?)
Single female officer in the car, and it took quite a bit of sweet talking to get out of that one.

Single female officer in the car, and it took quite a bit of sweet talking to get out of that one.
In a former life driving an outside broadcast unit I occasionally wouldn't have the right shape number plate for the artic trailer. What you NEVER SAY is "it must have fallen off!" Penalty for carrying an unsafe load was considerably higher and 3 penalty points compared to a relatively cheap fine for lacking a trailer number plate.
Well done on talking your way out of that one!

So today my tape measure lied to me! (Well that's what I'm saying) cutting holes for downlights and oh b@gger!
The old measure twice cut once sprang to mind as I was screwing the bit of board back in! And re-cutting 100mm further back!?
Strange thing was the cable I had first fixed fell out the hole. Blinkin plasterers!
[ElectriciansForums.net] In the confessional....

Luckily the customer was very understanding!

years ago, was new years day. fitting an alarm system in a house. had to drill front door architrave into door frame for flush contact. 8mm sds , going in at an angle . suddenly an almighty bang and loss of leccy to house. sds bit melted. turned out that some years previous, incoming PILC had been plastered in behind architrave. I'd went right through the middle of it. 4 vans and 2 wagons from EMEB as it was then turned up. they dug up the road and the drive, , patched in 20m concentric and run up external to go through wall high up into cut-out.

One of my first jobs I had to pick up a mate and drive 200 miles to a van showroom and workshop,

We had a load of materials turn up and cleverly found an unused office to stash it all with a nice solid outwards opening door and old fashioned lock,

Drove home on friday with the key in my pocket

Returned Monday morning, pulled up at the gate and it suddenly ocurred to me the key was at home!......

30 mins of kicking the door before we gained entry

20 mins moving another door and trimming it to replace the damaged one which went in a skip and luckily no one was the wiser!

Reply to In the confessional.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net