Insulation Resistance | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Insulation Resistance in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As an adult learner I understand that any equipment connected to a circuit that may be damaged by the IR test voltage should be disconnected. I watched an electrician carry out an EICR on a property I rent. On a ring final circuit he removed the plugs fom the sockets before carrying out the tests. If the socket is switched off why does he need to remove it? Thanks in advance.

Not all sockets isolate both the live and neutral when you turn the switch off
Many just isolate the live leaving the N connected.
So the electrician was doing his testing correctly by both protecting anything that was plugged in and by removing possible sources of resistance that may influence the test.

Reply to Insulation Resistance in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
There can be a few reasons for low L+N -> E readings: Connected equipment is leaking. By design, or just old/damp SPD are connected (but there...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I may have been mistaken regarding TT I will look into that, thank you for the valued reply, but in general I stick to my post, a good topic for...
Replies
Views
Check the clearance between the back panel and/or terminal cover that you've removed. Look for small burn marks.
Replies
Views
If the main switch is on when testing global IR then the neutral and earth will likely give a very low reading. Not that anyone would...
Replies
Views
loz2754
L
I fitted a Mem MR30 Pod and MCB, about £75 for both.
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back