Is there a switch which works as per a high beam? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is there a switch which works as per a high beam? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

deansplit

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I'm building a kit car which has only indicators on the stalk so need to add a switch which operates main beam lights, but ideally also works as a flash (but without having to literally switch on and back off again). Does such a switch exist? Ideally it'd be a two way rocker switch with on/off one side and 'on' on the other side which rocks back, ie. for the flash part)

Cheers for any help or links in advice.

Dean

There is the option of changing the existing stalk for one that also has forward and back to operate the high beam. That used to be the way for many older cars. Then use the stalk to operate a relay for high beam as typically these stalks do not have the umph to operate the lights directly.

Are you referring to a standard indicator stalk you have in mind because the one I have certainly doesn’t allow for back and forward movement in its physical make up. That would be ideal, but if you could send me a link or image of what you mean, I might be able to tell if it would work, but I honestly don’t think it’s possible. .

Does such a switch exist? Ideally it'd be a two way rocker switch with on/off one side and 'on' on the other side which rocks back, ie. for the flash part)
Search for a dpdt (or whatever you need) rocker switch “on-off-(on)” which would normally sit in the middle position, permanent on is one side and momentary the other.
The (on) bit in brackets means ‘momentary’.
Farnell do a number of them. Presumably the rocker will feed a relay so contacts don’t have to be high current.

I just googled indicator stalk with high beam, above is using search function in Ebay.
Loads of options from classic cars
Thanks but I’m aware there are loads of styles that I already have to stalk, it’s a very specific style of thought I want, also fits to have a specific style type of custom-made steering column so any other stalk I’m afraid is not an option.
I just googled indicator stalk with high beam, above is using search function in Ebay.
Loads of options from classic cars
Thanks, yes I appreciate there are stalks out there which may work, but I already have an exact style of stalk for a very specific build (a Porsche 356) - that stalk would look hideous to say the least, so it's just not an option.

Thanks but I’m aware there are loads of styles that I already have to stalk, it’s a very specific style of thought I want, also fits to have a specific style type of custom-made steering column so any other stalk I’m afraid is not an option.

Thanks, yes I appreciate there are stalks out there which may work, but I already have an exact style of stalk for a very specific build (a Porsche 356) - that stalk would look hideous to say the least, so it's just not an option.
Have you a pic of the stalk you wish to use ? You may be able to modify one using a reed switch, for instance.

This one doesn't look too bad.

There are loads out there , who knows what would work, lol - I just use a button on the steering wheel - if the headlights are already on, one press puts on high beam, press again and it reverts to low beam. If headlights are not on press once to flash.
I dont use any stalks as they can get in the way, also operate wipers from steering wheel button.

OP wants a rocker switch

It would absolutely drive me mad having to reach for a rocker switch to dip the headlights, and also having to only have one hand on the steering wheel to do it, the headlights need to be switched asap.

If I didn't want a stalk, then I would fit a floor switch.

Hi, I'm building a kit car which has only indicators on the stalk so need to add a switch which operates main beam lights, but ideally also works as a flash (but without having to literally switch on and back off again). Does such a switch exist? Ideally it'd be a two way rocker switch with on/off one side and 'on' on the other side which rocks back, ie. for the flash part)

Cheers for any help or links in advice.

Dean

This will do what you want in terms of off high low.

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.

Reply to Is there a switch which works as per a high beam? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net