Is this ok? Hypervolt ev charger fitted | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Is this ok? Hypervolt ev charger fitted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

s-nine

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I have just had a Hypervolt ev charger fitted, the electrician used an old unused cooker spur to feed the charger and replaced the 32a mcb with a 40a two pole rcbo. I don't think the CU was originally designed for rcbo's as there is only two neutral bars, the electrician has taken the neutral feed for the rcbo from the input of the first rcd, is this ok?
I don't want to call his skill into question but would appreciate a second opinion.
Many Thanks
Celia

[ElectriciansForums.net] Is this ok? Hypervolt ev charger fitted

[ElectriciansForums.net] Is this ok? Hypervolt ev charger fitted

Interesting. What exactly holds that neutral conductor into the bottom of the RCBO?
That busbar they have used is not a Hager part an alteration not recommended by the manufacturer, it is all rather Heath Robinson.

The new RCBO comes with a neutral pig tail.... thats whats coming out the front, bottom right.
Search the number (ADA940U to see)

Clamping the neutral with another in the RCD terminal... thats ok

As Westy says, the busbar isnt genuine Hager

And I would expect any new work to be inside a fire resistant enclosure... (ie, a metal board rather than the old plastic board)... which could just mean a small board just for the EV, but i understand there may not have been additional space for one inside the back of a kitchen cipboard.

Unusual collection of breakers
5*32
1*25
1*6

The single cables (6sq ?) i get that now . The board is extended

Last edited:
To be honest, That is not a bad job, I have seen a LOT worse from other EV installers.

They have used compatible parts and from what is visible have done a decent job.

as westward has pointed out the busbar that has been added is not a hager part but if it is the right pitch then I cant see an issue.
lets face it, one piece of 18mm pitch copper busbar is much the same as any other.
it could be replaced with a piece of wire but I don't think it would improve anything anyway.

busbar issues are normally because other manufacturers breakers have been fitted and the terminals don't line up correctly front to back and therefore the bar is bent or stressed. with the correct breakers installed as in this case, the terminals will line up correctly and as I said, I cant see an issue.

Reply to Is this ok? Hypervolt ev charger fitted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net