Isolators | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Isolators in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I looked at this just before Christmas due to concerns over my own installation and concluded that the current regulations weren't clear, but that the new draft regulations clarified things.

As I recall (and this is a laymans view), the current regulations seem to be that if the inverter and CU are in different locations you need some form of isolator at both and that there should be a lockable isolator should "in an accessible location, e.g. the by the CU"

i.e. near the CU is an example of a suitable location for a lockable isolator but not the only option. It seemed therefore to depend whether a lockable isolator next to an inverter in say a loft was "an accessible location".

I'm confident I could if required, hence my comment in post 38 that you took exception to.

Anyway, I think we've covered this point now.

To be fair, I agree with Gavin's view on this.

In a related point, I have installed a couple of systems where the consumer unit was in the hallway of a home. To install a lockable AC isolator would have looked awful. I sourced a lock for the circuit breaker and decided that was fine. The isolator next to the inverter is lockable in the off position only.

You don't have to abide by regulations nor guidance anyway - you just need to be installing safely.

I'm confident I could if required, hence my comment in post 38 that you took exception to.

Anyway, I think we've covered this point now.

Don't worry Gavin, I don't take exception to an reasonable exchange of views:teeth_smile:
I've been proved wrong too often for that!

....... unless you are being assessed on it in which case abide by every whim of the rules and guidance.
and don't forget to take photographs of everything at every stage just in case they need you to prove you've not used chewing gum to attach the brackets to the roof... and no they're not allowed to go up a ladder to check it themselves.

im now looking to use a modular generation meter which is approved) which can be installed within the garage unit so if you was going to work on the system for any reason then you would isolate the supply and lock off the rotary isolator adjacent to the inverter, so i think installing the system this way is a good arguement for not installing a lockable rotary isolator at the mains. Does anyone agree?

ABB do a neat little meter which is MID approved, its twice the price of an elster but if space is an issue its ideal. Im trying to get my installs nice and neat myself, it will mount on the din-rail so could also be installed into various enclosures. once i have sourced my bits and pieces i will let you know

With you on this one. Am looking for well priced unit to take isolator, rcd, mcb & meter. Neat and hopefully cost effective.
we get ours from CEF. Haven't entirely worked out is it's cost effective or not, but it does the job. Inepro pro75D meter with an 8way box, RCD & MCB.

eta we buy them 10 at a time to get some discount on them. Really ought to check out exactly how much it all adds up to and how it compares to the alternatives.

Last edited:
we get ours from CEF. Haven't entirely worked out is it's cost effective or not, but it does the job. Inepro pro75D meter with an 8way box, RCD & MCB.

eta we buy them 10 at a time to get some discount on them. Really ought to check out exactly how much it all adds up to and how it compares to the alternatives.

thanks, i will have a look

Reply to Isolators in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net