just been zapped from my kitchen sink why did it happen | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss just been zapped from my kitchen sink why did it happen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jayjay5396

hi i would like to know why i just received an electric shock from my kitchen sink all i did was touch the tap to turn it on i got hit n it hurt why would this happen?

ive used the tap before i've lived here for 7 years whats up with it why did i get a shock?

would an electrian cost alot of money to fix it?

get in an electrician sooner rather than later, and no it shouldnt cost much just his call out. Judgeing by what you say you are getting a canny belt so, please get the sparky now, before there is a fatality.

It could possibly be a supply fault, or depending on your installation be a sudden (and significant) failure.

Get it checked, asap. Post up your location and there's bound to be a decent forum sparks not far from you.

am from ferryhill county durham uk,

oh yeah it hurt glad it throw my arm off rather than held me i wasnt wearing any shoes so i decided to try put my shoes on and had a leather glove on i was able to use the tap without any pain but was scary going back to try it wasnt sure if the leather glove would help but it did.

the zap felt like something youd get from a tv screen but 10x stronger its enough to make you jump.

so it can kill me? guess ill not use it then it was fine other day when i used it :/

I take it your sink is metal?

Well put it like this a metal sink/water/electricity.

You couldnt possibly have a more lethal combination so yes it can kill you

Get an electrician in,it might just be the best few quid you ever spend in your life

What on earth were you doing at the sink anyway....where the hell was your missus. Jesus man, this is why we don't approach kitchen utilities. Can't get zapped off a pint glass watching the rugby now can you. *shakes head*

stress relief just for geordie.

[ElectriciansForums.net] just been zapped from my kitchen sink why did it happen

- - - Updated - - -

stress relief just for geordie.

[ElectriciansForums.net] just been zapped from my kitchen sink why did it happen

This was a well known problem identified in the 15th ed. When the 16th ed was released kitchens were removed from the endangered list of special locations and the problems suddenly disappeared. and now with the advent of RCDs, the problems are more or less non-existent - NOT.
I believe the best answer to this was from Approved Document P. The use of supplementary bonding and or RCDs in special locations and Kitchens. Note that Kitchens were a special case all on their own since nobody wanted to call them a special location but couldn't ignore the fact that there might be a probability of extra risk.
I never understood why kitchens were removed from the list of special locations since it was the death of an MPs daughter which spurred the Part P into action.

However, the saving grace of the regs is that all the premptive methods required to reduce the likelihood of shock are still in place even though, as in table 41C that no longer takes a front row seat but still has relevance to those who have used it.

Now where did I put that soap box ?......

Reply to just been zapped from my kitchen sink why did it happen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net