Currently reading:
Lighting Circuits......

Discuss Lighting Circuits...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toneyz

Without going into calculations, at what length of the main run from the D.B. on a lighting circuit do you get a gut feeling that it needs to be upgraded from 1.5 to 2.5 cable more referring to singles than T & E. 6/10A type C mcb LED lighting low design current so more of a V.D max loop etc.

Without going into calculations, at what length of the main run from the D.B. on a lighting circuit do you get a gut feeling that it needs to be upgraded from 1.5 to 2.5 cable more referring to singles than T & E. 6/10A type C mcb LED lighting low design current so more of a V.D max loop etc.
when the end comes off the reel and it won't stretch to the last light.o_Oo_O

assuming that the load is irrelevant ( i.e well within the ccc of 1.5mm) , then all you need to consider is VD.

Not making this a technical question too much but if you are pulling just over half a drum in to the first light then you have the lights as pre-flexed leads between fittings just looking for an view from a gut feeling/past experience.

Domestic, Commercial or industrial?

As I posted ,as experienced electricians and with years of experience of installing circuits we all must stand there looking at the practical run and thinking this run is a bit too long it needs to have a increased cable size more safe than sorry.

One method is to transpose the volt drop calculation.

(Max Volt Drop x 1000)/(current x mV/A/M)=Max length in meters.

One I use quite often for 6mm SWA on a 32 amp distribution circuit is:

11.5 x 1000/32 x 7.9=45.49m

Then you need to take into account installation methods and derating factors etc but this gives you a figure to work from.

As I posted ,as experienced electricians and with years of experience of installing circuits we all must stand there looking at the practical run and thinking this run is a bit too long it needs to have a increased cable size more safe than sorry.
If you were to opt for 2.5mm2, how do you intend to connect the lighting flexes to the larger size cable, might be a bit more expensive but has bus bar trunking been considered? or will it be cost prohibitive?

If you were to opt for 2.5mm2, how do you intend to connect the lighting flexes to the larger size cable, might be a bit more expensive but has bus bar trunking been considered? or will it be cost prohibitive?
Not relevant to the question that I am asking sorry Pete to be blunt to you Pete ( with respect). We are not all robots to what something is calculated off site getting a cable A to B is not always a straight line as it is on paper we must all get to have a experienced view when looking at a practical run.

If my gut feeling was that the first light was a bit of a stretch then I’d install say 2.5mm singles to the first point then perhaps 1.5mm to the other points however I’d be estimating the run and writing down some design calcs as well , as quite often it’s the max zs you need to watch when installing long runs especially if it’s a type c mcb.

If you take what the iet design guide says then if the load is evenly distributed along the circuit the voltage drop is reduced.
A lighting circuit with evenly distributed luminaries the average current is half the total load current
Max volt drop
6.9x1000/(Ib/2) x (mV/A/m)

Last edited:

Reply to Lighting Circuits...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock