load neutral melted in 2 spurs | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss load neutral melted in 2 spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkatus12

Just been to neighbours house because he said cooker was not working. Turns out the fan oven was fed via a fused spur of what appeared to be the kitchen ring. However couldn't get continuity between feeds so is a radial on 32A breaker or spur feeding spur. (neutral on load side of spur had melted but fuse hadn't blown). Decided to check next spur and found out it was doing the hob. However this one is fed from the house ring. Once again neutral melted but fuse not blown and also no continuity again. A kitchen fitter done it all about a year ago and also added other sockets and a shower apparently. Just wondered if you guys had an idea why the neutrals had melted but fuse not blown. (strange to have 2 spurs with loose connections on the load neutral). Going to test the whole house at the weekend. Thanks.

I was told many years ago that copper compresses when electrons flow through it, hence why plug and socket terminations loosen over time on there own without ever being touched. But then I drink lots of tea and read the sun so don't listen to me. Perhaps thats where i read it !

I'm new to this how do I view attached images.

Well I'm not the best at it , But click go advanced ----Scroll down to manage attachments ---click add files------ then browse -- double click your pic --- then upload ----- when it has uploaded drag it into bottom box and click done.

Yep I could complain but I get paid to sort jobs like this. Also why is it worse on the neutral than the live ? remember the neutral carries the same current so if slack it will melt if the live is slack then same thing.

There you go a switch for the shower

View attachment 14522View attachment 14522

Sorry uploaded twice and cannot delete
Found the same today, stuffed into a single 1''deep cavity box (or what was left of it after meltdown). Obviously forcing and twisting the cables makes the terminals unstable.

Reply to load neutral melted in 2 spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net