Met | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Met in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KAS1

Why does everyone seem to use the earth bar in a CU as the MET, what's happened to the old 4way or 8way earthing terminals, are they now a thing of the past in domestic installations, it doesn't seem right to take the water/gas bonding conductors etc to the CU IMO

I don't see the big deal. In a domestic situation the earth bar of the CU can act as the MET as it is usually provided with a couple of bonding terminals as well as an earth. If you struggle to get a 16mm earth and several bonds into an earth bar THEN it would be appropriate to install a separate MET. Neither option is right or wrong - it depends on the application.

There is nothing wrong in using the CU's earth bar as the MET, but if i were you, i'd take notice of what's being told to you here, by the more experienced electricians. For the sake of a couple of quid, that external MET earth block is far more versitile than cramming 16 and 10mm cables in to a domestic CU.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Cos it IS better, and LOOKS better. So there.
You are going off on a jolly in your head. The quality of single phase domestic CCUs are rubbish unless you are using something a little more commercial then you will struggle fitting everything in and dressing the cables neatly. Then the next man comes in and pulls the cables out to run the tests and you are then left with a pigs ear. So there!

There is nothing wrong in using the CU's earth bar as the MET, but if i were you, i'd take notice of what's being told to you here, by the more experienced electricians. For the sake of a couple of quid, that external MET earth block is far more versitile than cramming 16 and 10mm cables in to a domestic CU.
I'm not trying to ignore more experienced electricians! If it came to 'cramming' to get them in then of course I would introduce a separate MET block, but my point is if the CU is designed to take them and they fit easily then it seems odd to ignore the designated terminals and put another one in.

Made me think, as I'm doing the 2395. The guy taking the course and all paper work/diagrams etc all refer to the MET ( which is the external type). I used to use them all the time whilst down south, but here in Lincs, never see them at all on domestic situations.
Do you guys that use them, site them in OMB's and take your main equipotential bonding conductors to the OMB?

I'm not trying to ignore more experienced electricians! If it came to 'cramming' to get them in then of course I would introduce a separate MET block, but my point is if the CU is designed to take them and they fit easily then it seems odd to ignore the designated terminals and put another one in.

Well as the old saying goes, you can lead the horse to water, but ....!! lol!! You'll have to learn the hard way!! lol!!

If I find I'm struggling to get them in or if the CU is congested I will get one, otherwise I still don't see the point of adding another component. I'm not trying to argue, trying to learn. Anwyay, I'm off to the pub. :)

i thought that as well. this is why a label should be attached next to the MET. an alternative would be to make use of that nice new copper pipe the plumber has installed in front of the CU. bang 2/3 BS951's on it and use them as your MET. :90:

Reply to Met in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net