Metal flush boxes | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Metal flush boxes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chocolate

Does anyone know a tried and tested way of fixing a metal flush back box into a brick wall that has been completely mashed ( rather than a tidy bit of knocking out ) by a non-electrical tradesman ??????

Unfortunately, what remains of the surrounding brickwork is in no way secure enough to be drilled for a fixing.

I have a disheartened customer at the moment . . . . :(

Does anyone know a tried and tested way of fixing a metal flush back box into a brick wall that has been completely mashed ( rather than a tidy bit of knocking out ) by a non-electrical tradesman ??????

Unfortunately, what remains of the surrounding brickwork is in no way secure enough to be drilled for a fixing.

I have a disheartened customer at the moment . . . . :(

GRIPFILL...........:eek:

For a few quid i would purchase a bag of bonding plaster or readymix quick set sand and cement and fill the hole, then push the box into it.

There really isnt any other option TBH.

Hi Chocolate
How many bricks have been damaged ? id say for neatness it shouldnt be to hard to scrap and replace neat cut bricks ! for the cost do a brick & plastering course saves lots of hassle.
Regards
Kung.

When i was doing houses we ofter had to put a few boxes side by side for various accessories, we used to nail a batten to the brick at the correct height then put some muck in and then push the boxes in, just makes it easier to get them level etc

Thanks for all the sound words of advice. A trip to B&Q for some bonding plaster as a first attempt to win the customer's confidence over to my side.

It's a old house - 1930s. The bricks ( no fault to the builder ) are brittle. One tap with a scutch chisel, and its biscuits crumbs. The mortar between beds is no better. In many places, its soft enough to push a finger into. I feel bad as I passed the repsonsibility over to someone else to do the hard labour on the walls.

Will try the bonding plaster - this sunday - and let you know the outcome !!!!

I have always been brought up to earth the backbox as well, something I dont like to see though is some sparks bring the earth to the backbox and then a lead to the plate, Always done it the other way round myself

Get some fast set for drain repair go's rock hard in 5mins or less the more water you add the quicker it go's off. in is good if you want to plaster is up when gone off. I get mine off council drainage lads. Dry wall adhesive is good and fast and on cinder block with the holes i use a combination of batten and bonding plaster. Nothing worse than getting call back to a job where the box your apprentis has done that fell off when the customer pulled a plug out.

i use 10mm earth cable and solder it to the back box. and then supp bond it to the kitchen sink

You'r taking risks cutting corners like that Truth, if anything goes wrong you could be in big trouble.

I use 16mm earth, supp bond the kitchen sink plus every bath or shower in the house, then take each one back to the MET,

I find this good practice.

You'r taking risks cutting corners like that Truth, if anything goes wrong you could be in big trouble.

I use 16mm earth, supp bond the kitchen sink plus every bath or shower in the house, then take each one back to the MET,

Cutting corners maybe 5 years ago, but who bonds the kitchen sink theses days????

I have always been brought up to earth the backbox as well, something I dont like to see though is some sparks bring the earth to the backbox and then a lead to the plate, Always done it the other way round myself

Aye hate that to, or 1 leg of the ring to the back box a the other to the socket, then a link in between

How dare you......there is no risk because i run my supp bonding conductors as a Ring Main!

10mm and 16mm bit small dont you think gents. IMHO i do find 25mm by 3 mm copper tape run round the house and all exposed conductive parts as well as extranious conductive parts tagged on by means of a 16mm. just about covers if its a long run (over 25m) i have been known to put in some rods just in case.

I know I'm too late now but in this predicament, as Jason said, I have gone for readymix quick set sand and cement . full strength in 1/2 hr vv 12hrs for bonding

Incidently, expanding foam will give an excelent bond, but again you need to wait for 12hrs for complete curing and may not (nay I'll go further and say probably wont) find the box in the same position you left it in!

Reply to Metal flush boxes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net