Meter fitting jobs... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Meter fitting jobs... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

T.Glass

Hi all.

I've noticed that there are a lot of jobs popping up for installing meters on properties. I was wondering if anybody can give me any information on what extra qualifications, if any I would need to be able to get some work, or more importantly get some experience in the field.

I'm fully qualified in terms of City and Guilds, time served etc but is that enough?
And does anybody know anywhere I could get some experience in doing it?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks! Tommy.

I think most suppliers require you to go through a training course. As far as I'm aware it's there own specific In house training and this then gets you the authority to work on there equipment....

There was something I read the other day somewhere and the company that was organising the job was charging 250 per day for training and it was a 10 day course plus you had to have a white van liveried up with their logo plus you had to buy all the tools from them,what a rip off.

The last guy i spoke to doing it was in linlithgow near edinburgh. Amd asked him if he was also a spark and he said no i just done a training course and away he went. No idea on how much it was or that

Lobotomy=qualified. We had one of these guys fitting meters for us. He had forgotten his brown double insulated tails and wired everything in blue. He didn't look confident in what he was doing and had a rubbish set of tools.

I can tell you now, the meter fitting companies have 3 days of training 1 week (if they were lucky) of following a another guy around, and off they go, ....fully qualified meter fitters!! Capable of giving advise to qualified electricians and the like!! ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Think i've mentioned this before, but during the realms of the old Regional Electricity Boards, meter fitters were generally fully qualified Board electricians that were nearing retirement or on light duty due to health or injury. That all changed when the private companies (DNO's) took over and farmed that element of work out to other private companies.

Now it's all down to the money for shareholders of ''two'' companies...lol!!

Reply to Meter fitting jobs... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net