Need some advice with an Earth problem | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Need some advice with an Earth problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

netsniperthe1st

First of all can I apologise if this is in the wrong forum :rolleyes:

I have a little problem? I bought a house in Russe Bulgaria which was recently built but looking at the wiring it doesn't seem to have an earth :eek: well not as we know it in the uk? how they do it there is the take a small piece of wire from the neutral and link it into the earth terminal so in affect the neutral became the earth as well, what I want to know is how safe is this and is there anything I can do to make it safer? the fuse board has those automatic things that switch off when a bulb goes or there is some other problem, the voltage is around 230 and there is 2 separate power cables that come to the house overhead, any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I don't understand very well english but..
I understand your question properly.
If in your bulgarian house have 3 wire I mean 1 for L, 1 for N and 1 for eart .....
OK please make some pictures of the installation (fuse box and contacts) and send them to me on my e-mail [email protected]. I am electrician engineer, I live and work in Bulgaria as a electrician in construction and I would assist you to make everything as safe as in England.

Regards
P.Passev

Thank you for your reply Peter but I am in the uk at the moment so I can not give you any pictures, but I only have 2 wires in my house not 3, the neutral is also the earth in all the power sockets and all the lighting and everything else

Thank you :)

I worked in Sofia a few years back and seem to recall that all the systems i saw seemed to be a 2 wire TT system. All socket outlets where 2 pin C type euro plug without a ground connection.
As i say it was a few years ago when i was last there (about 10 - 12) and things might have moved on since.

Thats what i thought.

Is there RCD protection on all circuits as i presume that there must be some class 1 items of equipment connected like cooker toaster microwave etc.

My house is about 9 years old

:)

When you say "RCD" I assume you meant the switches that are in the consumer unit which turn off when there is a problem? and yes there is all sorts of things connected to the house inc Boiler for the bathroom, and shower, along with a whole host of other things you would find in any uk house washing machine, dishwasher,Toaster, microwave,Tv,and so on including underfloor heating all electric

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes definately install an earth electrode and check that all RCD's are functioning by pressing the test button regularly as these are what will save your life in the event of an earth fault in an appliance.

Thank you for your reply Peter but I am in the uk at the moment so I can not give you any pictures, but I only have 2 wires in my house not 3, the neutral is also the earth in all the power sockets and all the lighting and everything else

Thank you :)
Also need to add 3 rd wire and RDS at least for boiler and contacts, etc. ;)

Reply to Need some advice with an Earth problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net