Neff Oven grill switch knob gets hot | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Neff Oven grill switch knob gets hot in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

BS6600

DIY
Reaction score
After a few minutes the knob gets too hot to holfd<60c
The connections on the switch body stay cool.
The grill works fine.
Should I replace the switch asap/sometime?

The product BS/EN/ISO etc. standard for ovens specifies the maximum allowable temperature for metal surfaces and control knobs. Samples of your Neff oven would have been type tested to the standard. I believe 'plastic' knobs are allowed to be 60 deg. above ambient, which I think - because of the thermal capacity of the material - is not regarded as dangerous.
Apparently many users are concerned oven panels or controls get "too hot", but it is the nature of an oven that bits get hot (but not dangerously hot for external parts!)

If you are concerned there is an electrical fault causing the heating, rather than it being due to the grill being on, then have it looked at, but I would expect the connections of a defective control to become hotter than the knob if the heat was being generated internally.

The product BS/EN/ISO etc. standard for ovens specifies the maximum allowable temperature for metal surfaces and control knobs. Samples of your Neff oven would have been type tested to the standard. I believe 'plastic' knobs are allowed to be 60 deg. above ambient, which I think - because of the thermal capacity of the material - is not regarded as dangerous.
Apparently many users are concerned oven panels or controls get "too hot", but it is the nature of an oven that bits get hot (but not dangerously hot for external parts!)

If you are concerned there is an electrical fault causing the heating, rather than it being due to the grill being on, then have it looked at, but I would expect the connections of a defective control to become hotter than the knob if the heat was being generated internally.
Thank you, that sets my mind at rest.

Something that could be relative is to ensure that the door seals are good.

Only one of three knobs gets hot and the grill door is usually open so I don't suspect seals.
Thanks.
If it's a rotary switch or thermostat, have you tried removing the knob to see if the (metal?) spindle behind is as hot/hotter?
Rotary control knobs normally pull off. If you checked when the plastic was hot, but the control shaft turns out to be cooler, you've proved it's not a fault in the control (or not🤔!)

Reply to Neff Oven grill switch knob gets hot in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net