Neon Screwdrivers.... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Neon Screwdrivers.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

5c077,what you describe is the real world
Test procedure in our H+S obsessive culture has to be described as it is in the guide books (though not always followed because of the real world you describe) saying otherwise openly may not benefit the trainees who read these posts

Again working live is what many of us accept as part and parcel of being a spark
We should respect the danger whilst having confidence in our own skill that we can keep ourselves safe

Having said the above,where possible it would be nothing short of utter stupidity to work live needlessly

I think we are on the same wave length Sc077 (for now
[ElectriciansForums.net] Neon Screwdrivers....
)

Neon scerwdrivers?

I read once an opinion on them that I like to use because it sums them up well

Why use the "human body" as part of a test instrument

I asked the apprentice to get me my voltage testers once and he came back with one of these out of his new screwdriver kit. Chucked it on the floor and took my hand grinder to it. Surprisingly it lit up whilst been abliterated.

Its probably induced voltage you ask about other possible causes but without using correct meters to test the wiring we could speculate all day hence you had your answer in post 2 and here we are at post 38

I wouldn't do it on a knew installation you got to test your circuit before putting it into service so when when you get called out to a break down on a a printing press cuz one of the chamber ain't workin you got 8 chamber but fortantly there only using 5 ink beds and the chamber that is down ain't being used and the doctor knife ain't in gaged as that's the fault you tellin me you think it's reasonable to tell the customer they carnt get there products out all because you won't to shut down the machine incase you get a ****er bearing in mind your fault finding but you carnt fault find cuz the program in the plc u don't even know if its got an input to get your out put you would be chasing your own tall that's is the custermer even let's you to isolate the press cuz if I was the customer ill tell you to leave site ill get someone else in who knows wot there doing I'm paying for the work to be done so ill get the service I won't bye bye no breed and butter for you today lol

English as she is spoken!!

RIP Grammar ...........You were a wonderful wife to Granddad

Think it's all funny with all your remarks towards the screw driver and with the clever replays wouldn't judge any1 by trade as still learning the trade myself but I don't see any safe means of isolation in your descriptions such as lock off your breakers and using a proving unit as a known source when you are insuring the a indicator instrument so wots any different using a screw driver to not using a multimeter cuz your readings could be false any way with out checking at known sorce and keeping logs of your reading to ensure that range of value of your instrument is as close as I feel that work ain't being carried out correctly because you should have access to any certificate reports and things to current reg is to be labled or marked indicated of its isolation so wot you need a £1 neon screw driver I don't know wot you pay for is wot you get sounds like some had it bad if there on the floor made me chuckle employ someone with decant tool and expire nice cuz I can work on a live circuit alday and still not get a belt that comes down to experience and 100% good quality and well maintained tools and cleaned from any excess of water in one post as I chuckle to myself

I can't believe this ..... it's half past September and this kid is still not back to school after the Summer Holidays yet.

If I wonted to study English I would of done so I didn't choose to take up literature so I never done so because I was never brought up with the English grammar it don't make me more dumber than the man who didn't know algebra if you was so clever you wouldn't be seen on here we all understand why we are all here so be done with the English here

Are you therefore suggesting that only thick people are members here?

Are you some sort of Muslim Extremist??

What exactly do you have against the English???

Lack of punctuation is not really a further education issue its basic little school stuff, trying to read un-punctuated posts is difficult as the same wording can mean different things depending on the punctuation. We are not just talking comma's and full stops but having said that these simple things does show which group of words go together and where the next words are starting a new sentence.... without them it can be really hard to interpret some posts.

Example:-

I'm hungry let's eat Grandad.

I'm hungry! let's eat, Grandad.

In contradiction to what you think even simple junior school punctuation as it shows a certain level of education ....try getting a job with a C.V. that has no punctuation or is incorrectly punctuated. We are not asking you to write a novel here we are just asking for basic junior level English!.... so we can understand what you are writing.

Last edited:
44 Posts in and some people still won't accept that neon screwdrivers are at best useless and at worst downright dangerous,I expect the prat that had worked on the shop that I found had no earth was one of these types,if he'd had the proper test gear he'd have found there was no earth on the building,reading some peoples attitude to test gear makes me think that they see it as some kind of status symbol,like we don't really need it but we spend many hundreds of pounds buying it then more every year having it calibrated.You can just see it can't you Louis vitton mft available in a range of designer colours.

If I wonted to study English I would of done so I didn't choose to take up literature so I never done so because I was never brought up with the English grammar it don't make me more dumber than the man who didn't know algebra if you was so clever you wouldn't be seen on here we all understand why we are all here so be done with the English here

I have a 134 IQ at the last measure, i study Quantum physics to keep my mind ticking, i got distinguished results in all subjects i like at school including Maths and Physics ... so to suggest if your on this forum you must be thick is making me chuckle, mainly because i assume you thought you might fit in easier but heads up! the're alot of Electricians and Engineers alike who are well educated and intellectual online at any time... if you want a forum where you possibly might fit in better then try the Plumbers Forum ;)

Last edited:
This forum probably wouldn't work too well if everyone on it was a 'thicko' - the blind leading the blind.

Back onto the topic of the English Language; the whole point of school is to prepare you for adult life - you're not going to get very far unless you can communicate effectively.
Did you think you only went because it was traditional, a state funded babysitting service, modern day national service, a way the government helps you get a lot of friends on facebook, or did you just not think about it at all?

well, this is why they invented predictive text on mobile phones... so that 1 illiterate tw*t could have his garbage translated into gibberish that another illiterate tw*t could read.

Its probably induced voltage

Doh... I did read that, but read beyond it without actually considering plain old induction due to proximity to other wires....which I assume is what you mean.

you ask about other possible causes but without using correct meters to test the wiring we could speculate all day hence

The test "meter" back in post 21 is I assume what you mean by "correct" - is that not just a voltmeter? I expect we will be back to a multimeter reporting the same as the "meter" except with more accuracy....which I really must actually check with.

What test, other than to confirm the actual voltage above real earth is on N and the presented E?

Its probably induced voltage

you had your answer in post 2 and here we are at post 38

Yeh, but what great reading this thread made....:lips2: (joke.....)

@Telectrix - what make/model was that tester you posted...out of interest, or, where you just suggesting a generic probe type meter? Just checking incase it has other functions beyond volts/ohms/amps. I am a sucker when it comes to buying tools...

David

Doh... I did read that, but read beyond it without actually considering plain old induction due to proximity to other wires....which I assume is what you mean.

Yeh, but what great reading this thread made....:lips2: (joke.....)

@Telectrix - what make/model was that tester you posted...out of interest, or, where you just suggesting a generic probe type meter? Just checking incase it has other functions beyond volts/ohms/amps. I am a sucker when it comes to buying tools...

David

have a gander at the fluke T5-1000 on test-meter's site. also serves as a clamp meter.

5c077,

Please do yourself, me and everyone else a favor and at least attempt to type a readable post.
The forum has a built in spell checker, take advantage of it and try to punctuate a little.
Ime crap and English Lit, Wouldn't pretend to be anything other than that but I at least make a effort to make a legible post.
If you want to be taken seriously make the effort otherwise you will only ever be a laughing stock.

Reply to Neon Screwdrivers.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net