New board connected to V I R cables | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New board connected to V I R cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

powervan

Hi whats the situation on following!
went to wire a bathroom today in old terraced property all looked good new board (last 6 months) full niceic member! certificates not to hand YET! looked in loft to find V I R cables! works out from board new cables run 2 mtrs into joint boxes picking up old cables! as it happens its not a problem for me as found a pvc 6mm left in loft and other end just outside the board:))) so can work my stuff from this BUT i would only ever connect to old cable if we were doing a rewire very shortly after!! is this a Good Practice issue or is there a reg that said THOUT SHALL NOT CONNECT TO VIR even if it tests ok?? lighting hasnt cpc but thats not the issue as this has label on the board! diff subject the plumber used a junior hacksaw to cut through a live vir cable that just had no jb on end ASSUMING it was dead( he wont do it again:)

Bit hard to understand without full info, anyway to fit new cu, then join on to old imperial wiring is not what I would be doing IMO, never mind the testing, these cables fail the visual at accessory ends normally they just crumble.!! lol

show the customer get him to phone the con--tractor
i saw this done in a hotel in bmth lansdowne(the queens hotel) some years ago by a large firm, they wired new rings then used jb,s on the trs twe that went up to each socket in the rooms

Assuming the VIR has passed all inspections and tests. And assuming the joints have been done properly then there is not much to say from a regulations point of view.

But I have to ask how the lighting can have no earthing when the VIR will be in steel conduit?

Well what problem do you see?
Old VIR has a habit of going brittle with age, so probably the insulation would be suspect, I stand by my other comments, apart from being suspect, if and only if, the client has been deceived by the persons that did this job, then as said by someone else that's fraud

Old VIR has a habit of going brittle with age, so probably the insulation would be suspect, I stand by my other comments, apart from being suspect, if and only if, the client has been deceived by the persons that did this job, then as said by someone else that's fraud

All speculation! as usual on this site.

God help us

thought this might be interesting! i feel its bad practice but dont think there is a reg against it if it tests out!! although i would think the results would be fiction anyhow!!might take my inspector there for my job:)))

All speculation! as usual on this site.

Just as you speculated in your previous posts that the customer didn't want to pay for a rewire, and that the contractor explained the situation but the customer went ahead anyway. All assumptions.

I have only ever found one piece of VIR that passed an IR test. A short run installed in conduit all the way.It got ripped out anyway as part of alterations.
I have also come across plenty of VIR cables installed in houses that are fizzling away behind light fittings and that crumble to the touch.
I certainly would not agree to change a CU onto this type of cable unless it looked, behaved, and tested as new.

The OP needs to get a look at the cert from the board swap, get some more info from the customer and go from there. If this customer has been misled in any way then NICEIC need to be receiving a complaint.

That would be a waste of time, NICEIC will ignore any and all complaints unless you are reporting someone for misusing their logo.

Never a waste of time making a complaint that is ignored. How can generating evidence that an organisation that promotes safety is willing to ignore dangerous practices be a waste of time or effort ?
In fact if I was handling a customer complaint to the NICEIC, I would be praying that they sat on their hands so I could take it further .

Sorry, it read to me as though you were suggesting a complaint to niceic would achieve something relevant to this situation.
Certainly it could help the greater cause of beating the scams.

I think it would help in the greater scheme of things and the specific situation. Got to follow procedure, and if this case did end up with trading standards, then an official middle finger from the NICEIC wouldn't sit too well with them I don't think.

I do share your general cynicism about the NICEIC though, don't worry about that :D

Reply to New board connected to V I R cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net