Search the forum,

Discuss New CU and meter tails etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rajshar

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I don't know if I should ask it here or the main electricians forum. It's about CU change and the work around it and the CU change will be done by a proper registered electrician.

I will try to upload the pictures so you can see what I am talking about. I took two quotations. One just ask for pictures and quoted me for new BG CU with RCBOs, meter tails, upgrade the earth cable as the old one is only 6mm.

The second one visited my house today and after looking at the meter fuse board gave me two quotes, one including materials and one just his labour, testing and certificate charges. He said there is no need to tell Building control as he is registered and his certificate covered it. His quote includes fitting new CU and meter tails. But he said he won't change the earth cable as that is coming out of cut out and he isn't allowed to touch that. He also told me that the tails from the cutout to the meter and then to the fuse board are 16mm. The cutout fuse is rated 100A. The length of tails from cutout to meter is about 60cm and from meter to the fuse board is about 120cm including all the bends. Is all this acceptable? I know that I can ask him to fit 25mm tails to the CU but who is responsible to change the tails from cutout to the meter and who is supposed to change the earth cable for bonding from cut out to the gas pipe.

I have an appointment scheduled with British Gas to fit an isolator between the meter and fuse board as the first electrician asked for it. Can British Gas electrician change the tails and earth bonding cable from cutout while fitting the isolator?
Sorry for a long description and questions.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_155248.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20210304_145207.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20210304_145310.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20210304_155439.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 131
Just to add that the reason he give me quote for labour work is because I asked him to fit Type A and B curve Wylex Rcbos. As he normally installs BG boxes, he said I should purchase whatever I want and he will install it. He is working with my neighbor, doing electrical work on council properties, so I know he is legit. But I don't know if he just avoiding the extra work of changing earth bonding etc or he really isn't allowed to do that.

Sorry another correction. The earth cable from cutout is going to the fuse board not the bonding. So my electrician surely can upgrade the earth bonding from the new CU if not from cutout. This raises another question that in the last two years has and water pipes were changed to plastic at the street. From the street it still old water pipe which is lead and the plastic gas pipe was inserted in the existing metal pipe up to the gas meter. Gas meter is only 3 feet away from Electricity meter. Do I still need earth bonding?
Thanks

I took two quotations. One just ask for pictures and quoted me for new BG CU with RCBOs, meter tails, upgrade the earth cable as the old one is only 6mm.

The second one visited my house today and after looking at the meter fuse board gave me two quotes, one including materials and one just his labour, testing and certificate charges. He said there is no need to tell Building control as he is registered and his certificate covered it. His quote includes fitting new CU and meter tails.
the sparks that going to do the work does that include a EICR first before the work is Done.

Just to add that the reason he give me quote for labour work is because I asked him to fit Type A and B curve Wylex Rcbos. As he normally installs BG boxes, he said I should purchase whatever I want and he will install it. He is working with my neighbor, doing electrical work on council properties, so I know he is legit. But I don't know if he just avoiding the extra work of changing earth bonding etc or he really isn't allowed to do that.
Is the spark working for some one or working for him self, if working for someone their company might not cover them for working on the side. The questions I would be asking.

This work is notifiable under Part P, any electrician who is a member of a scheme can notify for you if they're registered to do so.

From the service head to the meter is not your responsibility as this equipment belongs to the DNO and your energy supplier, from the meter is up to you to maintain. As you're getting an isolator switch fitted your electrician can connect from that, the person fitting the isolator should inspect their equipment before any work is carried out by them to ensure it is safe to do so.

You appear to only have bonding connections to the gas/water and no main earth? Can you post an overall picture of your equipment from the suppliers head to your distribution board?

Earth connection from the service head shown in Pic one and two, don't know where it goes too though, or where what I assume to be bonding on the Water pipe?

tails from cut-out to meter are the responsibility of DNO. (SSE?).
nothing wrong with a BG board with their compact RCBOs.
upgrading main earth is no problem for a sparks.
bonding cables are for your sparks to upgrade if required.

There is a braided earthing conductor with a "Do Not Remove" tag over it into the bottom of the earth terminal.

Reply to New CU and meter tails etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back