New member desperately looking for advice | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New member desperately looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I see he is using NICEIC paperwork, is the Electrician registered with them? you may like to check I believe it's quite an easy process.

Yes I got a quote from him before he started the job.

So what does it say on the quote regarding the electrical work?
Post a pic of that bit.
If the description for the work on the quote doesn't match the description on the cert then tell tell the electrician.

the certificate has the 'testers' name on the bottom of the schedule above and the first image still has a logo visible. so might pay to be a bit careful here given possibility of the Op maybe taking civil claims action etc...

I did check though and the company is registered as both a AC and DI with NICEIC.

Which makes you wonder as even if the results were made up on the certificate, when entering them on the NIC online portal he only had to click a button to notify and then generate the notification cert which he could print or email the OP.....

Last edited:
I do no have doubt on the authenticity of the certificate but question on whether the details of work outlined on page 1 cover the installation of new fusebox and kitchen circuit. The circuit has been issued by a different guy than the one who came to my property and seems to me that this has been designed as testing of some sort but not above installation. These are notifiable so which part of the form has actually notified the council in this case? Thx

Getting another electrician to sign the work of is called Third Party Certification. In order for that to be valid, the signing off electrician has to be registered as a Third Party Certifier, but more importantly has to have been inspecting the job during and after completion of the works otherwise he cannot sign them off. Not only is he liable for a hefty fine but so are you if this has not been done correctly!

To be honest,none of the above matters,as we have not seen a written quote for the extent and cost of the electrical work.
If the work is safe,and does not step on any leasehold,contract or permission issues,it is only an argument between what can be proved,to be agreed,and what was actually done.

A verbal assurance from a builder is worth 3 Shekels.

Getting another electrician to sign the work of is called Third Party Certification. In order for that to be valid, the signing off electrician has to be registered as a Third Party Certifier, but more importantly has to have been inspecting the job during and after completion of the works otherwise he cannot sign them off. Not only is he liable for a hefty fine but so are you if this has not been done correctly!

Really? I would be interested to know of one name of a householder,who received a fine for such a matter...

as we have not seen a written quote for the extent and cost of the electrical work

I did ask the OP to post up that bit of the quote in post #17.

The quote was for the following:

1. Run new oven supply from distribution board to kitchen.
2. Install new 17th addition distribution board.
3. Inspect property for any faults.

In London, with builders margin and VAT I can see how that could easily get to £1000

The quote was for the following:

1. Run new oven supply from distribution board to kitchen.
2. Install new 17th addition distribution board.
3. Inspect property for any faults.

Then this should be the description for the work carried out on the cert.

Apologies if I'm wrong (being the other side of Hadrian's wall) but didn't the NICEIC opt out of allowing 3rd party certification in England?

I agree with Murdoch on cost £1000 in central London isn't necessarily unreasonable and in any case its a free market to price a job at whatever you want and then it's upto the customer to say yes or no, surely?

Reply to New member desperately looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net