New RCD Cu...every circuit tripping RCD | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New RCD Cu...every circuit tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Diode

I just fitted a new RCD Cu and the ring, and lights etc trip the RCD when powered up. The only things that don't trip it are the new shower circuit, the emmersor and the power to the heating timer. The ring trips it and so does the lighting when powered. I've had to modify the board so that the RCD only does the shower for now but I'd like to have my sockets on it too and perhaps the lighting. It's a 2 bedroom house from about the 70's with original wiring I'd say.

i'd highly recommend getting an Electrician in to do a full test on the property who will then repair the apparent faults you have and also ensure your property is safe and unlikely to catch fire or fry yourself anytime soon.

While they're at it they could also solve the storage heater problems you have with your Tenants property (the heaters mentioned in the Central Heating forum after hours ago)

Full apologies if this seems alittle harsh but from reading both posts it appears to me your a Landlord with very little Electrical Installation knowledge as regards regulations/notifications/testing.

Pick the right Electricain and they will also complete a certificate for your rented property for safety/insurance reasons.

Apologies for rant but rules are rules.

From the term 'My sockets' and the fact there has has been no answer about test equipment I'll guess that it is a DIY job by the home owner and no tests have been carried out. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Sounds likely doesn't it I'm sure if he pops along to the shed there's an instruction leaflet somewhere telliing him how to fault find..That's where I got mine from he he

This what I try and educate people at work about, an RCD is just a device it's not a magic wand and it won't save your life under all fault conditions fitting one is no substitute for good installation practice and in particular properly installed and maintained earthing arrangements, to date out of 20 ish branches we have had PIR's on we have had four that failed completely ie failed to to trip under either x1 or x5. or even the test button,.they have probably been like that since the last PIR's were done, when I took over the responsibility for organising periodics in conjunction with a contractor thinks are much better, I would like to bring all the boards up to 17th but legally we have no responsibility to, so he wont run with it, although I have condemned a few on condition.

ATB J

I could rant on (as usual) perhaps about leakage current and the effects of load current.maybe insulation breakdown or even bonding,selection etc,but I have a sneaky feeling there has been a little overeaching of competence,so I will for once,abruptly terminate this reply with the "get the spark in" gem,

If you don't know any sparks or scared about who you should call in. You could post your location on here. Lots of helpful people who know what they are doing.
If you still don't like the idea of that And still decide to call in a stranger then make sure you check them out on the competent persons list. Although this isn't a guarantee of Good workmanship

Reply to New RCD Cu...every circuit tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net