new reqs | Page 9 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
has anyone pre ordered the new books yet and weres the cheapest place to get them was tempted to order mine on amazon £130 for the reqs,on site guide, gn3 your thoughts chaps

Plastic CU, no code on the next EICR as complied at the time of installation.

Cables in escape routes, no code as complied at the time of installation.

The regulations are not retrospective.

OK. And if you could not verify when it was installed because the company has gone bust? The property has changed hands many times and now no one knows if it was December 2014 or July 2015. And be honest. Who checks anyway.

But surely this is what C3s are for. Telling the user it is satisfactory but not to current standards and we recommend improvement.

for instance. The 16th edition you did not need to RCD protect circuits buried in a wall without earthed MP at less than 50mm. If you tested that installation today you would put that as a C3. Clearly it still obides to the 16th but things have moved on.

I wouldn't put it as a C3 personally unless someone comes up with a good reason why it should be.

RCD protection only becomes necessary when you work on/alter the circuit.

I wouldn't put it as a C3 personally unless someone comes up with a good reason why it should be.

RCD protection only becomes necessary when you work on/alter the circuit.

From the NICEIC:

[COLOR=rgb(32.941000%, 32.941000%, 34.510000%)]Code C3 (Improvement recommended)[/COLOR]
Observations that would usually warrant a Code C3classification include:
Absence of RCD protection for a socket-outletthat is unlikely to supply portable or mobileequipment for use outdoors, does not serve alocation containing a bath or shower, and theuse of which is otherwise not considered by theinspector to result in potential danger.
(Note: Code C2 would apply if the circuitsupplied a socket-outlet in a locationcontaining a bath or shower in accordancewith Regulation 701.512.3)

[ElectriciansForums.net] new reqs
RCD in a consumer unit
Absence of RCD protection for cables installedat a depth of less than 50 mm from a surfaceof a wall or partition where the cables do notincorporate an earthed metallic covering, arenot enclosed in earthed metalwork, or are notmechanically protected against penetration bynails and the like
Absence of RCD protection for circuits of alocation containing a bath or shower wheresatisfactory supplementary bonding is present

OK. And if you could not verify when it was installed because the company has gone bust? The property has changed hands many times and now no one knows if it was December 2014 or July 2015. And be honest. Who checks anyway.

But surely this is what C3s are for. Telling the user it is satisfactory but not to current standards and we recommend improvement.

No, C3 is used to identify items which are recommended for improvement. Not for pointing out every minor non-compliance.

Would you give a C3 to an older installation which has green sleeving rather than green/yellow? Of course you wouldn't as it makes no difference to anything.

Would you give a C3 to an MET with a 'safety electrical earth' label instead of the current 'safety electrical connection' label? Again of course not, it again makes no practical difference.

You might as well give an automatic C3 to every installation containing the old wiring colours if you are going to code everything that isn't installed to current regs.

From the NICEIC:

[COLOR=rgb(32.941000%, 32.941000%, 34.510000%)]Code C3 (Improvement recommended)[/COLOR]
Absence of RCD protection for a socket-outletthat is unlikely to supply portable or mobileequipment for use outdoors, does not serve alocation containing a bath or shower, and theuse of which is otherwise not considered by theinspector to result in potential danger.
(Note: Code C2 would apply if the circuitsupplied a socket-outlet in a locationcontaining a bath or shower in accordancewith Regulation 701.512.3)

RCD in a consumer unit
Absence of RCD protection for cables installedat a depth of less than 50 mm from a surfaceof a wall or partition where the cables do notincorporate an earthed metallic covering, arenot enclosed in earthed metalwork, or are notmechanically protected against penetration bynails and the like
Absence of RCD protection for circuits of alocation containing a bath or shower wheresatisfactory supplementary bonding is present

The NIC are well known for making up their own version of the regulations !

From the NICEIC:

RCD in a consumer unit

Neil, a word of advice, don't use the NICEIC as a reference source on here, because any credibility you've gained will go up in a puff of smoke!:smilielol5:

No, C3 is used to identify items which are recommended for improvement. Not for pointing out every minor non-compliance.

Would you give a C3 to an older installation which has green sleeving rather than green/yellow? Of course you wouldn't as it makes no difference to anything.

Would you give a C3 to an MET with a 'safety electrical earth' label instead of the current 'safety electrical connection' label? Again of course not, it again makes no practical difference.

You might as well give an automatic C3 to every installation containing the old wiring colours if you are going to code everything that isn't installed to current regs.

I personally would C3 those items. Not the cables colours though unless a harmonization label was not installed.

Neil, a word of advice, don't use the NICEIC as a reference source on here, because any credibility you've gained will go up in a puff of smoke!:smilielol5:

Thanks for the advice. My clients will not even entertain a contractor without it. I have also been taught that way. When test you test to the current regs. You woukd not test a 40 year old installation and say it is all fine because that is when it was designed. I am really struggling to understand this train of thought and I strongly disagree with it.

Thanks for the advice. My clients will not even entertain a contractor without it. I have also been taught that way. When test you test to the current regs. You woukd not test a 40 year old installation and say it is all fine because that is when it was designed. I am really struggling to understand this train of thought and I strongly disagree with it.
Do you do many EICR's mate?

Reply to new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net