New supply to new build | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New supply to new build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

As far as im aware the spilt is ok to run underground via a duct something to do with the neutral and earth wrapping aroung the live conductor ,and as far as the rcd on the mains side of the submains i can drop it i was just looking little advise so cheers lads

But still underground and needing an earthed armour or similar

If the duct provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage as armour or metal sheath, then it's not required. BYB 522.8.10. I'd say that typical soil pipe probably does, although in most cases I'd use SWA anyway.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to matter that the duct doesn't provide the earthing to a conductive tool that an earthed armour would.

As far as im aware the spilt is ok to run underground via a duct something to do with the neutral and earth wrapping aroung the live conductor ,and as far as the rcd on the mains side of the submains i can drop it i was just looking little advise so cheers lads

Any thoughts on this question?:
What's providing the overcurrent protection to the 30m underground cable?

If the duct provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage as armour or metal sheath, then it's not required. BYB 522.8.10. I'd say that typical soil pipe probably does, although in most cases I'd use SWA anyway.

I wouldn't claim that the protection is the same as earthed armour, however, unless you had a considerably dense steel duct to actually prevent penetration. It is the fact that the armour is earthed which is pertinent.

As for split concentric there is a live conductor surrounding the phase conductor in places, so this couldnt really be considered to be "protecting" it.

Reply to New supply to new build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net