Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

carlitto74uk

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here so bear with novice questions pls.
I have renewed an old CU (the one with pull out fuses) to a very new one with 2 rcd's and 10 MCB's. the old one had the kitchen sockets and the 1st floor sockets on the same ring (weirdly).
Layout is this:
RCD1 63A with:
1 x 40A MCB for cooker
1 x 32A MCB for ground floor sockets
1 x 6A MCB for the ground floor light
RCD 63A 2 with:
1 x 50A MCB for electric shower
1 x 32A MCB for 1st floor sockets
1 x 6A MCB for the 1st floor light
1 x 16A MCB for intruder alarm

Switched all on and no tripping. Powered up various apliances (small consumers like TV, DVD, lamps even DW and WM and FF) still all ok - no tripping. When I power up hoover of kettle from any socket both RCD's trip however the corresponding MCB's stay on.
should I disconnect all radials and leave just the mains rings and see if anything changes?

Any thoughts? Tks

What tests did you do before you installed the new CU? What were the IR reading on the circuits and what was the global IR reading?.

Do you own or have access to calibrated test equipment?
Did you use it before trying the bang test?

Why did you put the ground floor lighting on the same RCD as the ground floor sockets?
Same question obviously applies to the upper floor lighting and sockets
A 16 amp MCB for the alarm?

It sounds like you've got your neutrals crossed over.

As others have said, you need to carry out the full test procedure to ensure all circuits are ok for continued use.

Hi all,
I'm new here so bear with novice questions pls.
I have renewed an old CU (the one with pull out fuses) to a very new one with 2 rcd's and 10 MCB's. the old one had the kitchen sockets and the 1st floor sockets on the same ring (weirdly).
Layout is this:
RCD1 63A with:
1 x 40A MCB for cooker
1 x 32A MCB for ground floor sockets
1 x 6A MCB for the ground floor light
RCD 63A 2 with:
1 x 50A MCB for electric shower
1 x 32A MCB for 1st floor sockets
1 x 6A MCB for the 1st floor light
1 x 16A MCB for intruder alarm

Switched all on and no tripping. Powered up various apliances (small consumers like TV, DVD, lamps even DW and WM and FF) still all ok - no tripping. When I power up hoover of kettle from any socket both RCD's trip however the corresponding MCB's stay on.
should I disconnect all radials and leave just the mains rings and see if anything changes?

Any thoughts? Tks

Possibly you have mixed up the 2 legs of the ring circuits and so 1 leg from 1 circuit is in with 1 leg from the other ring..should be easy enough to verify this,with or without test equipment.:)

Possibly you have mixed up the 2 legs of the ring circuits and so 1 leg from 1 circuit is in with 1 leg from the other ring..should be easy enough to verify this,with or without test equipment.:)
So how come the sockets are not tripping the RCDs when the washing machine, fridge, dishwasher and other small appliances are used?

Any form of testing OP before & after.?

Its not specified on ring or other individual circuit. if any of neutral who have to be on one RCD part and you accidentally fixed on the next RCD part they caused tripping when you switch on any equipment except electronic one..im pretty sure this tripping its caused by cross neutral..

So how come the sockets are not tripping the RCDs when the washing machine, fridge, dishwasher and other small appliances are used?

I thought the sockets were tripping RCD with any item ,if its just tripping with 2 items out of a houseful then the socket they are plugged into may have loose connection or the items are faulty

corrention: RCD's trip only when hoover/kettle is connected to 1st floor ring they seem to be ok when supplied from GF ring. Also electric shower (Mira Azora) trips RCD's when NOT on cold water.
I am no electrician I have only basic knowledge or electrics hence I didn't run any Insulation Resistance tests before swapping. I have a Fluke 175 which I mainly use for DC testing can it be used for IR testing?
I don't think there are any neutrals crossed as small appliances work ok. All I've done was swapping rings/radials one by one.

I plug in hoover/kettle in any og 1st floor sockets and RCD's trip. I do the same in any GF sockets and all is ok

Reply to Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net