Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Get him in the DIY section!

u'r prob right tony as said before i am new to this forum i didn't know where to post this thread i'll know from now on :)

Ask one of the moderators to move you and this thread. There’s some qualified guys in there that may be willing to help, I’m not one of them!

Did you carry out any tests prior to swapping the CU?

There is an unfinished sticky on DIY electrics on this forum. Me thinks we need a full and clear sticky explaining that replacing a CU is not as simple as most think.

1. Replacing a CU comes under part P and it is illegal to.... a.Do so without notifying BC.....and b. without complying with Bs 7671.
2.Notifying BC yourself will probably cost more than paying a registered electrician to carry out the whole thing.
3.Complying with 7671 will include tests/inspections to verify the effectiveness of earthing and bonding,and tests and inspections to verify existing circuits are in a fit state to be connected to a modern CU.
4.A modern RCD protected CU will pick up faults and incorrect connections that your old CU wont.This is why tests are carried out before and during the replacement. These tests can only be carried out with proper equipment and the knowlege to use it. A neon screwdriver....martidale plug in tester....or multimeter will not carry out the required tests.
5.Those who think it's a simple swap will inevitably end up in the same boat as the OP here,and even if it works they may still have a dangerous CU without knowing it......and will have broken the law.

no disrespect here but if I followed certain people's advice I'd probably need a quualified electrician to change a light bulb...
i thought this forum was intended for diy advise also...

Yup.

1. Call a registered competent spark
2. Spark refits CU
3. Spark includes full set of tests and issues EIC
4. Spark notifies LABC to comply with building regs
5. Numpty handyman pays extra bills
6. Happy customer.

Sorted.

you could always nip down to b&q and ask that nice man in the orange overalls how to do it. if you're lucky he will give you a shiny little brochure on how to. one sentence in that brochure will be 2 get a qualified electrician to fit it".

no disrespect here but if I followed certain people's advice I'd probably need a quualified electrician to change a light bulb...
i thought this forum was intended for diy advise also...

It is intended for DIY advise as well but there's a limit to the work DIY'ers with a limited skill set and limited range of test equipment should be doing.

The tripping issue you have is just a symptom of a more serious problem which it sounds like you are lacking the competency and test equipment to remedy safely. I can only advise you get a professional in to help you finish this job to a standard where it's safe for the users of the installation and the work can be notified as required by law.

I'm closing this thread because it running any longer is just likely to encourage an unsafe outcome.

Reply to Newly installed Consumer Unit is tripping RCD's when hoover or kettle on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net