NICEIC Competant person scheme | on ElectriciansForums

NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Competant person scheme

Discuss NICEIC Competant person scheme in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

Hope this is in the right section and I appreciate this may have been asked before.

I’ve been in industrial maintenance for coming up to 15 years as an employee, the last 3 years have been as a Maintenance Manager at a small/medium sized plastics manufacturer and I’ve been responsible for several large projects involving installation and commissioning services for machines (electrical and mechanical). Doing this more recent work has made me realise that I both want to work for myself and get more into the installation side of things.

Qualifications wise I have a level 3 in Engineered Systems and 18th edition and I’m going to go for my Initial verification and inspection and test. My level 3 is not recognised on the NICEIC list of qualifications needed for approved contractors.

My question boils down the following:

Does what I have plus the inspection and test get me on the competent person scheme?

If so, would I be able to certify my own installation work?

To get on as an approved contractor, I think I’d need to do the experienced worker NVQ. Would what I have get me into that?

Sorry for the long winded question!!

Hi All

Hope this is in the right section and I appreciate this may have been asked before.

I’ve been in industrial maintenance for coming up to 15 years as an employee, the last 3 years have been as a Maintenance Manager at a small/medium sized plastics manufacturer and I’ve been responsible for several large projects involving installation and commissioning services for machines (electrical and mechanical). Doing this more recent work has made me realise that I both want to work for myself and get more into the installation side of things.

Qualifications wise I have a level 3 in Engineered Systems and 18th edition and I’m going to go for my Initial verification and inspection and test. My level 3 is not recognised on the NICEIC list of qualifications needed for approved contractors.

My question boils down the following:

Does what I have plus the inspection and test get me on the competent person scheme?
No
If so, would I be able to certify my own installation work?
By Certify if you mean self notify to Building Control Part P work then that is the main point of getting on a competent person scheme.

Anyone can certify their own work. ie Fill in a EIC or MWC and sign it.

To get on as an approved contractor, I think I’d need to do the experienced worker NVQ. Would what I have get me into that?

I believe 5 years experience and a relevant Level 2 qualification is needed to get on that.

Also a problem with the experienced worker route is getting the relevant experience of all the different aspects of the trade.

I would imagine your best bet would be working as an Electricians Mate and taking it from there but it would be a long slog if you need to do the Level 2 qualification to get on the experienced worker tract.

Reply to NICEIC Competant person scheme in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net