No earth on lighting circuit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No earth on lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Went for an ECR check and found no earth on lighting circuit, board just been updated last year (Wylex 10 way RCD board), phoned the landlord and said someone recommended to put class 2 fitings but walls have metal capping and switches and accessories are brass/ metal fittings but the code is c2,

Am I right or wrong?, I’m confused

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for an ECR check and found no earth on lighting circuit, board just been updated last year (Wylex 10 way RCD board), phoned the landlord and said someone recommended to put class 2 fitings but walls have metal capping and switches and accessories are brass/ metal fittings but the code is c2,

Am I right or wrong?, I’m confused
C2 for me too. It can be changed to a C3 by changing all installed equipment to plastic/class2. Detailed info on this in Best Practice Guide 1. Metal capping (I assume you mean the stuff installed over the cable as protection prior to plasterering?) not relevant to this non-compliance as it isn't usually intentionally earthed.

In a perfect world you would rewire the property and advise to do the rewire.

C2 is all you can recommend and a notice at the board to state the CPC is not present to lighting circuit.
with reference to no metal fittings can be connected to that circuit.

Remember you are there to test as the edition it was wired at.

In a perfect world you would rewire the property and advise to do the rewire.

C2 is all you can recommend and a notice at the board to state the CPC is not present to lighting circuit.
with reference to no metal fittings can be connected to that circuit.

You are definitely NOT there to test to the edition it was installed to.
You inspect and test to the current edition of the wiring regulations.
I cannot understand the difficulty in electricians undertaking EICR’s understanding this basic requirement.

You are definitely NOT there to test to the edition it was installed to.
You inspect and test to the current edition of the wiring regulations.
I cannot understand the difficulty in electricians undertaking EICR’s understanding this basic requirement.
If the building was built in 16th edition you can not test it to the 18th edition. You can advise to the new editions rules to what applies today.

If the building was built in 16th edition you can not test it to the 18th edition. You can advise to the new editions rules to what applies today.
That is incorrect, tell me, as anything we code can be backed up by a regulation, what regulation number would you refer to if for example , sockets upto 32 amps non rcd protected supplying mobile equipment outdoors?
The answer is that you cannot as the 16th edition did not require rcd protection for socket outlets upto the 32 amps ( though it was required for sockets upto 20 amps maybe I can’t remember what rating it stopped at) we have today and unless you actually have a copy of the 16th edition, you cannot reference a regulation number.

You test the install as is, AND REPORT any discrepancies to the current regulations, recommending ANY works that are needed to bring the install up to the current standards

This subject has been done to death and it winds me right up that supposedly competent and skilled persons are supposed to carry out this type of work, yet they don’t understand the basic requirement to inspect and use the current edition of the wiring regulations as a tool to recommend improvement of safety with the C3 code for example for installations that do not comply with the current edition of bs7671 but are not necessarily unsafe by being installed to a previous standard and do not require upgrading.

Therefore you have advised the client with the new code a problem that could occur in the property.

But does not require a rewire maybe a update to a breaker if it does not make the property more or less dangerous.

Strictly speaking the testing is little different to previous Regulations however your inspection must include any non-compliance with the requirements of BS7671 which may give rise to danger, see Regulation 653.2. BS7671 will be the current version as previous editions are no longer current therefore departures which may give rise to danger regardless of when it was installed must be noted in the Report.

This subject has been done to death and it winds me right up that supposedly competent and skilled persons are supposed to carry out this type of work, yet they don’t understand the basic requirement to inspect and use the current edition of the wiring regulations as a tool to recommend improvement of safety with the C3 code for example for installations that do not comply with the current edition of bs7671 but are not necessarily unsafe by being installed to a previous standard and do not require upgrading.
Or a c2 just like this very thread

Look at the last sentence beginning with the word 'You' can etc

Says it all really quote new regs and what applies end off...

It's not a question that you can advice, it is that you have to.

Agree, and therein lies the problem with some people that claim to be Competent Electricians.

So by your logic, you would need to hold a certificate that shows you're competent to test and inspect, for every edition of the wiring regulations you come across.
You would also need to have all the reference books for each edition that you come across.
This is just nonsensical.
We test and inspect to the current edition, we are required to hold a certificate for the current 18th edition.
We report the findings of our test and inspection, and note any non compliance with the current 18th edition, each non compliance being rated as C1, C2, C3 or FI.
We recognize that many installations were designed to a previous edition, of course, but our reason for doing any of this is to assess whether the installation is deemed safe for continued use.

I too am at a loss as to why so many find this a difficult concept to grasp.

Well that could be awkward! What if I find a double-pole switchfuse installed under the 11th edition, that has had its neutral solid-linked to comply with later editions. So I have to test to the 11th edition and give it a C2 for having its neutral fuse bypassed, but at the same time give an advisory that the neutral fuse should be bypassed. Lol.

The client will do as he pleases no matter the given report. but most will get the new upgrades.
If the Client has the required information, and does nowt, then the Client deserves the fallout come sale time, as long as the report states the problems that are present, the reporter is in the clear, job done, end of, story over.

I think you are reading to much into the sentences.

My logic is new 18th edition when testing. see what has changed or is unsafe.
Then make the report.

I think you are reading to much into the sentences.

My logic is new 18th edition when testing. see what has changed or is unsafe.
Then make the report.
But your post#8 don't say that, anyway if you have learnt something today then that is good isn't it, condition reports are complex with installations ranging through the decades.

Reply to No earth on lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net