No earthing | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baker1988

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi every one how are you all on this fine bank holiday.
I have a friend of mine who has asked me to change a light fitting in his house it is a rather old house i went to see what he needed doing and when i got there i saw that he has no earthing on his lighting circuit ( infact he has none on any circuit and he has bronze plated swichs and sockets) the light he wants is a metal chandelier type light.

I said to him i will not change the light fixture as it has no earthing for the metal and he started offering me more money to get me to do it but i still said no and said to him he needs to get it rewired or a seperate eath put in but he is having none of it and has said he will get a fully qualified spark in to do the work as it must be ok not to have earth or it would have earth am i right in thinking a spark wont touch this as it is? and am i right to turn this down?

You understand the potential danger,you advised him correctly of that danger,he doesn't understand or care

If you fit it,you can become liable for any harm that may ensue
If he fits it,he has nothing but his own stupidity to blame

Walk

Your right in what your saying op I would not fit the light either, all you can do is advise but I'd be more concerned if the client has metal sockets and switches with no earth as it obivous the dangers that may arise

There's nothing wrong with no earth on the lighting circuits, it just needs all the switches, roses, and fittings changing to non metalic.
It could have had green wires that appeared to be an earth and were connected to the lead water main that's now MDPE.
I suspect the same customer would have said it's got green wires it must have an earth.

Hi the house is really old dont know exactly how old but at least a few houndred years old
I should of been a bit more clearer sorry i only checked the lighting circuits none of them had earthing thourgh out the full circuit i did not check the sockets but yes all the switchs and sockets are metallic and also has class 1 light fixture.
There was no way i was going to do it he has just baught the property it is really big it has out buildings and a stable he is not short of a few quid so he could easily afford a fully quilified spark to rewire the full property he is just greedy that is all thats why he asked me instead.
I told him to get it fully rewired as he has a little kid about 3yrs old running round And he wouldnt feel to good if his son got hurt due to his greedyness

What is the rough age of the installation? PVC/rubber insulation on the cables etc?

Take a photo of the CU and any accessible cabling and post it here, we may be able to help a little.

I have left it told him im not doing it and he will have to get someone else in to do the work i wont be looking behind anything lol
now dont be too hasty baker.....could be if its a dangerous install.....and you can convince him so.....you could be on for a nice rewire job here.....dont forget, he`s got a kid....that will be on his mind if you can prove to him that the present install is unsafe.....

Glenn, the op said it was changing a fitting for a mate, and that if he didn't do it he would get a qualified spark in. Not sure anyone should be convincing him to rewire it as it appears our op is not a qualified electrician himself. :eek:

No i am not fully quilified i am doing my level 3 at college now
i have a lot of expereance doing domestic installations i have helped do a few rewires and i am fully up on 17th edition regs i can do most stuff domestically according to my old boss he was happy to leave me to do the job while he went to another job so no i have not got the qualifications but i do have years of experiance the only reason i am at college is to get my certs to say i am fully qualified so i can sign off

No i am not fully quilified i am doing my level 3 at college now
i have a lot of expereance doing domestic installations i have helped do a few rewires and i am fully up on 17th edition regs i can do most stuff domestically according to my old boss he was happy to leave me to do the job while he went to another job so no i have not got the qualifications but i do have years of experiance the only reason i am at college is to get my certs to say i am fully qualified so i can sign off
signin stuff off aint about having certs Baker....its about having cash....about £450 of it to a scheme provider...lol.....

Reply to No earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net