No main earth in domestic supply | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No main earth in domestic supply in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

P&Q

Hi everyone,

I got called in by a customer to install a new circuit for their cooker in the kitchen. So I went over and looked at the main supply and there was no earth. So I told them to get in touch with their supplier and ask about this missing main incoming earth cable and what is the Earthing system, and this afternoon he got back to me, and Scottish Power had simply said, some houses have earth and some really old ones don't - all they have is a Phase and a Neutral cable, and that's it and they're not gonna do anything about it.

I was just wondering, what the deal is with is, should I get back to them myself, or even set up a TT system myself?

Appreciate any advice in advanced guys

Too many ''IFs'' there, ...that frankly aren't going to happen. If a cable is being repaired in a street, then won't that affect every property on that street fed by that supply?? Don't you think, if there was going to be a loss of earthing arrangements, the DNO would be taking suitable remedial actions to those properties???

Extending an earth path isn't in it's self, doing anything detrimental to any system, least of all to the DNO .....apart from losing 300quid maybe. Perhaps if there charges reflected the cost of doing such work, more people would take advantage of having works done by the DNO companies.

Reply to No main earth in domestic supply in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net