Non-notifiable competent DIYer jobs | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Non-notifiable competent DIYer jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

k_d_ch

At the moment I have electrical wires running in trunking attached the walls, which I find somewhat unsightly, especially
in view of redecoration that I am carrying out at the moment. I would like conceal this wiring in trunking within the walls
(trunking plastered over), which may possibly require changing whole sections of wiring if the existing length is not sufficient.
Are these jobs notifiable? Do I have to invite a local buildings control officer to check an installation of this sort before connecting it to the mains?
This must be standard question, but I can find a clear answer to it anywhere right now. Will I find it in IEE Wiring Regulations?
I know I have to familiarise myself with this book before I do any work anyway...
Many thanks for any advice!

I would get an electrician in, even if you just arrange for them to check it out and advise if it's ok, then you can do all the chasing in and then the electrician can second fix at the end.
i've seen a job like this where the sockets were wired in 1.5 flex in trunking and 2 core in trunking, the guy just bashed on and buried it all in the walls without a second thought, and then plastered over it nicely and painted the walls. it's probably all still like that now actually! but it would not have been a big job at the stage it's all chased out to just put the right cable in and have the job done right

Many thanks for your comment. Yes, of course I am considering exactly the plan you suggest. My reason for doing it myself is that in my experience with many
local guys you have to stand behind them while they are working anyway, to make sure they do it properly. And then they want to charge you dearly still.
I am not referring to all trade members, I know there are decent and professional guys out there, but I often seem to be unlucky. The guy who had installed
the electrics in the house we bought made the wiring hang in a chaotic fashion under our bathroom floor, to mention just one case of a job badly done.
And this is a registered electrician who provided a certificate for the job.

- - - Updated - - -

If your changing the installation method which you would be would this not make it notifable.

I don't know, I guess this is what my question was partially about.

Chances are the trunking isn't in safe zones so it wouldn't be as simple as cutting the cables in behind where the trunking used to be.
As you say, some of the cables may not be long enough so will need replacing, or threading through, so it's more a case of taking it all out and starting again, ie installing a new circuit, which is notifiable.

Well, most of the trunking is in safe zones. As I understand, trunking was used to conceal the wires somehow. Now, if it wasn't in a safe zone, what else would one use in addition to trunking when it is in the wall? LED Lighting is suggesting above that trunking isn't even necessary!

Either way you don't need to use trunking in this method!
has said property got RCD protection?
if you are renting have u got permission to do what your wanting to do?
being good at physics does not mean you are good at electrics,
some electricians have been killed by making a mistake. Just look how many fires there has been.

Either way its not notifiable! But still get an electrician in to at least price it up, you could be supprised

It has RCCB protection. If I was renting it would be foolish to do something like this without landlord's permission
of course. The price that the lady who sold us the house had paid did not sound very attractive, especially given the change of a bad job
(please see my earlier reply to ExArmy).

this is all ridiculous...
just get an electrician in who will give you value for money...
everything will be compliant and you will get certification for works carried out...this will be of course signed by the designer/installer/inspector & tester....

Well, most of the trunking is in safe zones. As I understand, trunking was used to conceal the wires somehow. Now, if it wasn't in a safe zone, what else would one use in addition to trunking when it is in the wall? LED Lighting is suggesting above that trunking isn't even necessary!
Earthed metallic conduit capable of withstanding penetration by a nail or the like, although it might be less of a job just to rip it all out and start again.
I'm not sure I would use metal conduit in addition to trunking as you suggest, but it's not me doing the job.

I was lead to believe the whole point of trunking was that you could take the lid off and lay cables inside, which you won't be able to do if it's plastered into the wall.

Well if what you say is the only point of trunking then it's only point is not to have to nail the cable to the wall, right?
Also, why can't I apply your principle of laying cables inside the trunking but then also plaster over it? If I need access to the wiring later on, I
take part of the plaster off, open the trunking, do what I need, then re-plaster the disturbed area? How does not using the trunking in this case
make things simpler?

To be honest folks this sounds like another "I can wire a plug, I can do electrics I"

your not going to take our advice mate, if you have to rewire the drops then yes it's notifiable and yes you can still do it but also pay £120+ to building control to notify it, or do what most cowboys do and say sod that.

From what your saying they prob charge you a bomb because you have messed with it before and they have to come in and sort your mess out!

if you get references, take muiltable quotes then you will find a decent sparky, if you just go down yellow pages and ask can you come out today and get the cheapest then you will get the crooks!

good luck to you mate.

And with regards to your question about would u be stupid to do it without the landlords permission then sorry the answer is maybe as you would be surprised how many I go to who does exactly that!

There is a phrase we have all heard from Plumbers/carpenters at some time

"it was a little bit tough so I just hit it harder and then it suddenly went without any resistance, you should put something stronger over it"

Which then leads to the question of how you get the nail/screw out of the steel pipe which has now been squished flat so you can't get the damaged cable out or the new one in.
I favour at least 1/8" earthed plate over anything buried that I really don't want them to damage (tails etc). The company I used to work for had it supplied by the same people who did the RSJ's

this is all ridiculous...
just get an electrician in who will give you value for money...
everything will be compliant and you will get certification for works carried out...this will be of course signed by the designer/installer/inspector & tester....

It has proved to me to be not as straightforward as I thought it would be. Unfortunately, value is not always there. Which you may discover a few years on
when it is too late... Please see my reply to ExArmy.

To the OP:

Trunking is for containing cables on the surface of a wall. When cables are to be buried in a wall, then generally no containment is required. If you wanted containment, in a domestic setting you'd use conduit. Since you don't know the difference between conduit and trunking, I'd say please, please get a spark in to do the job. Won't cost the earth but you'll know the work is compliant and has been tested as safe. I know you probably won't, but hey ho that's all you're getting out of me!

Well if what you say is the only point of trunking then it's only point is not to have to nail the cable to the wall, right?
Also, why can't I apply your principle of laying cables inside the trunking but then also plaster over it? If I need access to the wiring later on, I
take part of the plaster off, open the trunking, do what I need, then re-plaster the disturbed area? How does not using the trunking in this case
make things simpler?
That's the point of trunking over other forms of containment.
I suppose you could plaster trunking into the walls, but I wouldn't do it.
Remember it's not the trunking that negates the need for safe zones, but mounting it on the surface of the wall.

Reply to Non-notifiable competent DIYer jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net