Old mem mcb type | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Old mem mcb type in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

graham123

Hi all, anybody come across these mem mcbs. Don't know what type they are. All it has on them is 3871 part 1. Apologies for the picture will upload a better one tommorow. cannot even find anything on Google or eBay.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Old mem mcb type

no what im saying is they are prity old have a look at 15th edition and see what types there was you might take an educated guess as you seem to know what your talking about generally type 2 was used unless a special install ie a motor circuit then i would of not commented cheers

Nice to see an 'educated' guess when the OP has already pointed out that the circuit involved may have a high Zs. Lucky that wouldn't be in any way hazardous!

no what im saying is they are prity old have a look at 15th edition and see what types there was you might take an educated guess as you seem to know what your talking about generally type 2 was used unless a special install ie a motor circuit then i would of not commented cheers

Out of interest, are your EICRs that thorough? I wouldn't want to go through such meticulous paperwork, it sounds like hard work.

what you getting at ?thats what ive said type 2 common like type B are now high zs is fine with theses look it up type B whats the max zs type c whats the max zs same as type 1 and type 2 different values today high zs i would use a type B yes are you understanding not a type c
when these mcbs in the photo were made there was the same type 2 common type 1 not common

what you getting at ?thats what ive said type 2 common like type B are now high zs is fine with theses look it up type B whats the max zs type c whats the max zs same as type 1 and type 2 different values today high zs i would use a type B yes are you understanding not a type c
when these mcbs in the photo were made there was the same type 2 common type 1 not common

No they are not the same at all

Type 1 are X4 In, Type B are X5 In
Type 2 are X7 In, Type C are X10 In
Type 3 are X10 In Type D are X20 In
Type 4 can be various depending on manufacturer

If anything Type 3 are roughly equivalent to type C

No they are not the same at all

Type 1 are X4 In, Type B are X5 In
Type 2 are X7 In, Type C are X10 In
Type 3 are X10 In Type D are X20 In
Type 4 can be various depending on manufacturer

If anything Type 3 are roughly equivalent to type C

Actually this is not strictly true, the types B,C and D have a range of magnetic trip currents, which extend to the letter below, Type B = 3 to 5 X In, Type C = 5 to 10 X In, and Type D = 10 to 20 X In, just we use the highest number multiplier as the worst case.

The older standard has a different range which I would need to look up :) the numbers quoted for Types 1 to 3 are the worst case for that standard, which is all I am really bothered about anyway :)

I have no idea about Type A, I don't even know if they exist or not lol :)

Last edited:
You challenge my comment I put my opinion across type 2 if you don't like it that's up to you how much experience have you in this field think you should go on the diy forum

If you're not a troll then I despair for your customers. 'Type 2' is not your informed opinion through your years of knowledge. It is an uneducated guess based on the flimsiest of conclusions.

Reply to Old mem mcb type in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net