One out, one in, nice! | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss One out, one in, nice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

VoltzElectrical

-
Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] One out, one in, nice![ElectriciansForums.net] One out, one in, nice!

I went for a metal clad BG board and all RCBO setup from Electric fix and was very impressed with the quality and price. £127 all in, delivered to my door as well. Which was nice.

Thanks guys. You'll know from my photos, and my posts that I don't do much domestic, so it's good to get some feedback. I only started this thread about the quality and price of British General (BG) boards VS their more expensive counterparts.

Still more than happy with my choice of board (original track of thread)!

Cheers. (can't wait to get back in with a bit of sandpaper and some paint!)

Oh, and I don't know whether to tempt your criticisms by describing my method of plastering in cables without capping or not. I shall cogitate on that.

:1eye:

Thanks guys. You'll know from my photos, and my posts that I don't do much domestic, so it's good to get some feedback. I only started this thread about the quality and price of British General (BG) boards VS their more expensive counterparts.

Still more than happy with my choice of board (original track of thread)!

Cheers. (can't wait to get back in with a bit of sandpaper and some paint!)

Oh, and I don't know whether to tempt your criticisms by describing my method of plastering in cables without capping or not. I shall cogitate on that.

:1eye:

I did a job at my mate's house similar to yours, but using a Crabtree Loadstar.

I used 6mm MDF for the boxing-in. It's nice & smooth so no need to mess about much with sandpaper and it paints up nicely.

I did a job at my mate's house similar to yours, but using a Crabtree Loadstar.

I used 6mm MDF for the boxing-in. It's nice & smooth so no need to mess about much with sandpaper and it paints up nicely.

Good call, but I scabbed a plasterboard offcut from the local building company before going off to the job. If I ever have a similar job, I will plan more carefully for this scenario. MDF does have it's place.

Cheers.

Voltz.

Good call, but I scabbed a plasterboard offcut from the local building company before going off to the job. If I ever have a similar job, I will plan more carefully for this scenario. MDF does have it's place.

Cheers.

Voltz.

Yes it does - it's not the be all & end all though, but I think it's ok for this. I used that green coloured chipboard flooring (the water resistant stuff) for the backboard as it seems to take wood screws better than the ordinary softer stuff.

When I started my mates job, I was thinking about using a BG board, but unknown to me, he ended-up buying the Crabtree Loadstar complete with all the wrong size breakers which I had to change and I've added a couple of RCBOs to it.

I'm thinking I really would have liked to have tried the BG as a) I've never tried one before & b) maybe there's a bit more space above the RCBOs. I would also like to see the quality of the terminal screws in the BG as I'm not entirely happy with the Crabtree screws. Like Wylex, the heads are poorly formed, the material is too soft and the threads are too slack in the tapped holes in the busbars.

....bit dissapointed you went for phosphated bugle head plaster board screws instead of s.s. wafers..........bet your sick of this.....NICE JOB pal,and good stamina on site and on-line. :boxing_smiley:

Reply to One out, one in, nice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net