Opinions on this please... Obstruction | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Opinions on this please... Obstruction in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just turned up at a job locally to fit a shower, would have taken half day as will be a pig routing cable etc, anyway, I did look the other week, then arrived today to do it and there's a garage door in the way!

I have just said to the customer, I cannot do it as cannot safely work in the box, not only that I cannot even get my screwdriver in. There's no way I'm removing it as its full of springs

I did manage to just get the cover off using the right angled screwdriver, but am not risking tightening up a breaker with a 10.8kW shower on using it as need to make sure its tight and cannot access anything properly.

So, do you think the plonkers who fitted the garage door are at fault here and they should come and help?

UPDATE: The garage door people are coming next Friday to disconnect the runners and then reconnect in the afternoon once I have done my bit.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions on this please... Obstruction[ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions on this please... Obstruction[ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions on this please... Obstruction[ElectriciansForums.net] Opinions on this please... Obstruction

So the runners are going to be removed to let you do your work and then placed back making the DB inaccessible ? Are the garage door people going to turn up every time access to the DB is required ?
Either the runners need shifting or the DB does, any customer with a half a brain would understand that explained to them.

At least you have covered your problem, but I can see future inconvenience if there is an emergency, but people just do not seem to care.
The door fitters should have said that they cannot fit a door there as the consumer unit will be obstructed, but then they would not have got the job!
Does the lid actually close or will the breakers get covered in dust and moisture?

It's just a clash of services, it happens regularly on sites. I wouldn't say it was particularly the fault of the guys who installed the door, they have no other options for their rail positions. It's down to the home owner to get the CU relocated 300mm lower.

TBH it looks like it might even be possible to still connect circuits in the CU, I know photos can be deceptive but it looks like you could get a shortish screwdriver in there.

I said, they should have really not fitted it without advising you about this problem, I said the box could be moved, but he doesn't want to, I said ok, well ill do my bit then if you want it moving at a later date then ill come back and move it for you.

I don't think the rails could go in a different position to be honest looking at it.

the lid does just shut, but have no direct access to the case screws or anything else, so cannot work on it, I said yes, if you want me to to a cowboy job and leave it potentially dangerous then ill just use my right angle non insulated screwdriver and leave everything loose.

Oh and yes, they are going to replace them and cover it back up in an inaccessible way again...

It's just a clash of services, it happens regularly on sites. I wouldn't say it was particularly the fault of the guys who installed the door, they have no other options for their rail positions. It's down to the home owner to get the CU relocated 300mm lower.

Absolutly!! But in all probability, the homeowner will wait until he's had to pay out a few times to remove and replace the runners before the penny will drop!! lol!!

I said, they should have really not fitted it without advising you about this problem, I said the box could be moved, but he doesn't want to, I said ok, well ill do my bit then if you want it moving at a later date then ill come back and move it for you.

I don't think the rails could go in a different position to be honest looking at it.

the lid does just shut, but have no direct access to the case screws or anything else, so cannot work on it, I said yes, if you want me to to a cowboy job and leave it potentially dangerous then ill just use my right angle non insulated screwdriver and leave everything loose.

Oh and yes, they are going to replace them and cover it back up in an inaccessible way again...

Fair enough then, crack on and maybe put a note reflecting your advice on your cert.

Marvo torque screwdrivers arnt that short :)

Had this once before on a job i had finished. How customers can accept this is a reasonable outcome is beyond me, not really the fault of the installer of the door if they have explained where these rails will go. If the customer is adamant they want that type of door and understands how it limits access and may increase the cost of any additional works or extend down time of a installation if equipment failure occurred and they dont care then there really is no helping some people.

Mind you theres cars for sale where you have to remove a wheel to change a light bulb. crack on.

To be fair when you connect it there is adequate access and you are not responsible for what happens when you are down the road.

Obviously worthy of comment, and very poor from a maintenance point of view but there we go. To be honest you could probably get to the devices quicker than fuseboards where you have to move boxes, saucepans, clothes shoes ect.

To be fair when you connect it there is adequate access and you are not responsible for what happens when you are down the road.

Obviously worthy of comment, and very poor from a maintenance point of view but there we go. To be honest you could probably get to the devices quicker than fuseboards where you have to move boxes, saucepans, clothes shoes ect.

Nonsense, he knows full well that it will be blocked again once he is 'down the road'.
And there's a nice thread on a public forum to prove it if he tried to claim ignorance!

Reply to Opinions on this please... Obstruction in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net